Honored Contributor

I think washing and blow drying your hair immediately before a hairdresser appointment is a lot more weird than leaving the shop with damp hair.....which I have done....more than once.   I'm not sure why it would be a courtesy to pre-wash your hair.  My natural hair is curly and I was wearing it in it's naturally curly state,  I air dryed it.  I didn't blow dry and I didn't dry with an infuser.    So, when I went to the shop for my color/deep conditioner/trim,  I almost always had my hairdresser dry it with my microfiber towel and twist into a bun on top of my head.  And I left with damp hair.  It dryed and later that evening or the next morning when I took it down;  I had the most amazing waves and curls in the world.  Honestly,  I don't believe that woman leaves her hair up in a bun for week at a time.  But if she did.....there would NOT be any tangles or knots because a tight bun or braids protects the hair from tangling.  When my girls were very young,  I washed and conditioned and braided their long hair in tight braids and kept it braided for 2 or 3 days.  It was never tangled or knotted when I unbraided,  just very wavy.  

Honored Contributor

I don't wash my hair immediately before, but when I have an appointment coming up, I will wash my hair the day before.

It's like some women who straighten their house before someone comes in to clean for them, it's about dignity.  Certainly not everyone feels that way, but some do and they don't need to be called "weird".

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't like hearing my stylist dis a customer.  That's really tacky.

Regarding services, she always washes my hair, no matter whether I'm going in for a color, cut, or both.  It's included in the price.  Just a cut and the blow dry is extra, but when I get color (which has been most appointments lately) she always blows it out without extra charge.

She finally convinced me to stop washing the life out of my hair which I was very resistant to.  I have fine hair, but quite a lot of it, and I thought it would just lay limp if I didn't wash it daily.  I found out that not washing every day helped it to develop much more body and thickness.  I can rinse it in between washing but no shampoo more than 2x a week.  My hair looks and feels great now.  And the color stays much nicer.

And she also told me that color does work better on hair that hasn't been shampooed right before.  Since color isn't exactly cheap I want every advantage!

Trusted Contributor

Re: beauty parlor stories

[ Edited ]

I used to wash my hair before I would go to a hair appointment. I would tell the stylist that I had already washed my hair prior to the appointment but she said that they have to wash/condition the client's hair. When I asked why, I was told that they were told that they had to do it, no other reason was given. (it is included in the cost of the cut)

As for not having my hair styled, I have a perm. I don't like how the stylist styles my hair, she pulls out the curl & makes my hair frizz. I tell her to put sea salt spray in my hair & then I sit under a bonnet dryer until my hair is dry.

Honored Contributor

I have a strange salon story. My long time stylist used to work in a pretty upscale salon. Upscale or not this is still bizarre. I was waiting one day for my appointment and a male client of hers..he has ocd and is extremely picky about his hair. They were also long time friends. Well he proceeded to ask her to shave his back hair. Started pulling up his shirt. I think he forgot he was in public or maybe he just didn't care. Maybe it was due to his ocd.

I was mortified and hid behind one of those oversized hair style magazines. We still talk about it to this day. They are no longer friends, the breakup was about much more than the back hair  Smiley Very Happy

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I have a strange salon story. My long time stylist used to work in a pretty upscale salon. Upscale or not this is still bizarre. I was waiting one day for my appointment and a male client of hers..he has ocd and is extremely picky about his hair. They were also long time friends. Well he proceeded to ask her to shave his back hair. Started pulling up his shirt. I think he forgot he was in public or maybe he just didn't care. Maybe it was due to his ocd.

I was mortified and hid behind one of those oversized hair style magazines. We still talk about it to this day. They are no longer friends, the breakup was about much more than the back hair  Smiley Very Happy

I am friends with a couple who are very meticulous. She has MS so he takes her to the beauty parlor. He is friendly with everyone so I assume he knows the beautician well. He does the same thing! Pulls off his shirt so she can shave his back. 

Honored Contributor

Re: beauty parlor stories

[ Edited ]

I always wash my own hair before I go to the beauty parlor.  I have neck and back issues and I can't sit at those sinks.    

I switched salons this past summer - a new place opened nearby and they advertised that they specialized in dry cuts.  (I had been with the last guy about 10 years ... and the last year - his work just wasn't up to par and I was ready to get someone new.)  

It's a tiny place, two guys.  They offer the usual salon services, but only cut dry hair.  Shampoo and style after if desired. 

The cuts are "magic."  My hair is wavy and I'm growing out a short style that I've had for years.   I can't explain what they do - but the waves fall perfectly.  Just have to blow dry and run my fingers through my hair ... bit of hairspray and I'm done.  Casual wavy style that stays looking good all day.

Valued Contributor

Was just getting ready to post about my haircut experience today, when I saw this post...

i have had short hair forever, before walk-in salons like Great Clips, I did get it cut every 4-6 weeks, then liked the convenience of walk-ins..BUT not the ability to have the same hairdresser cut my hair..no big deal (usually) 

I was WAY overdue for a cut today, decided to drop in on my last trip to grocery..my name was called & when I saw the stylist, I cringed..oh no, her short hair was shaved on one side, longish on the other & that hair was PURPLE!!! I would never insult someone based on appearance & am I glad I didn't today..I got the BEST cut, blow-dry, that I have had in a long time! Amy was great & I sure hope she is there the next time I drop-in..I am so glad she was there today..she even complimented me on my salt &  pepper hair color..made my day!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7, I have shoulder mobility issues due to a fall from my bike.  The fix was a shoulder replacement.  Shoulder injuries and the rehab are incredibly painful.  I would wash my hair by bending over in the shower.  My better arm still did most of the work.  My hair is usually wash and wear.  Occasionally my husband will help me curl my hair in Velcro rollers -- he's fairly good at it now but agonizingly slow😊

Honored Contributor

I used to wash my hair before going to the salon but finally decided it just wasn't necessary.  I don't think I'm being discourteous to the stylist.