Honored Contributor

Yesterday was my day to get a cut and blow dry. I go once every six weeks. It might sound strange but I wash my hair and blow it dry before I go, just like I do every day.

I just think it's a courtesy to the stylist. When I got there yesterday there was a lady ahead of me. looking a bit on the scruffy side. I don't mean poor,or hard up. just sort of thrown together

She had gotten a frosting job on her hair. After her hair was washed and towel dried, she decline the offer of  having it dried by a hair drier.( It was cold enough for me to be in a winter coat.) She wound her wet hair in a tiny bun at the nape of her neck and scooted out the door with her bare feet in a pr of clogs

I mentioned to my stylist she must be a tough lady to go out with a wet head. She said to me  that's not the half of it. She leaves her hair in that twisted up bun for a week at a time with out combing it, and I can barely comb through the snarls when she comes in for a color

It gave me goosebumps. I could never  do that

Trusted Contributor

Re: beauty parlor stories

[ Edited ]

@cherry  A courtesy to the stylist? You're kidding, right?  I imagine your stylist is thankful for you.

Respected Contributor

Good grief.  She'd be better off getting a buzz cut.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

That reminds me of the story I heard when I was little about the woman who went to the beauty shop once a week or every two weeks, got her hair teased, pinned up, and never took it down.........then when she went back to the beauty shop, they unpinned her hair and roaches ran out of it!

Esteemed Contributor

I am fortunate that my next door neighbor is friends with a stylist who owns her own shop....but comes to her house to do her and my hair.....I don't wash my hair before I go....I don't have her dry or style my hair....as I jump in the shower as soon as i walk back home....

Honored Contributor

The stylist has to wet my hair anyway to cut it so I may as well let her wash it - and I do pay extra for her to wash it.

Honored Contributor

My salon has the policy that all hair services are a la carte. I understand color and cut being a separate charge, but there's a separate charge $27-$35 depending on hair length to blow dry. Wouldn't the stylist want to dry it (no charge) to check the color or how the haircut falls?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Yesterday was my day to get a cut and blow dry. I go once every six weeks. It might sound strange but I wash my hair and blow it dry before I go, just like I do every day.

I just think it's a courtesy to the stylist. When I got there yesterday there was a lady ahead of me. looking a bit on the scruffy side. I don't mean poor,or hard up. just sort of thrown together

She had gotten a frosting job on her hair. After her hair was washed and towel dried, she decline the offer of  having it dried by a hair drier.( It was cold enough for me to be in a winter coat.) She wound her wet hair in a tiny bun at the nape of her neck and scooted out the door with her bare feet in a pr of clogs

I mentioned to my stylist she must be a tough lady to go out with a wet head. She said to me  that's not the half of it. She leaves her hair in that twisted up bun for a week at a time with out combing it, and I can barely comb through the snarls when she comes in for a color

It gave me goosebumps. I could never  do that

@cherry

A courtesy to the stylist?   Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I don't understand how this is a courtesy.   If you wash your hair every single day, just how dirty could it be?

I can understand how some pass on the blow dry.  Since Drybar came to town, a blow dry is $15 extra at other salons.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

My salon has the policy that all hair services are a la carte. I understand color and cut being a separate charge, but there's a separate charge $27-$35 depending on hair length to blow dry. Wouldn't the stylist want to dry it (no charge) to check the color or how the haircut falls?

Yes she was going to let her set under the drier or blow it dry  so her hair wouldn't be soaking wet. The woman wouldnt wait. When she pulled it into a bun you could barely see the frosting. I couln't figure out why she bothered getting it frosted to begin with

She is a regular customer

Honored Contributor

To me, a day without washing my hair, means its dirty. It might sound strange, but thats how I feel