Esteemed Contributor

Re: baltimore and maryland area flooding 5/27/18

I saw that on the news. Terrible. I am concerned my son and his new wife fly back from their honeymoon all day Monday. That tropical storm is in the path of one of their flights. I hope if it gets too bad they cancel their flight rather than fly in it! They land (part way coming back) down south right in the path of the storm before they come north to PA. late Monday night. They have a 5 hour lay over down south. Praying for the best.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

The 11:00 news said that eight inches of rain fell within a few hours.  Fortunately, no loss of life.  Only six inches fell two years ago.

The flood waters surged through downtown like a wild river.

Trusted Contributor

Horrible!  It's only been about 2 years since Ellicott City flooded like that, and now again today! 

I'm north of Baltimore.  We had hours of thunder and torrential rains.  My daughter's area, closer to DC, had a tornado watch for a part of this afternoon.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Prayers to all in the effected area and also the the folks in FL, LA, AL and MS. It must be a scary situation.

Honored Contributor

A lot of street flooding and yard flooding in my area of SW Florida. As far as I am aware - no  buildings have been flooded.The lake behind my house flooded slightly onto the grass but has now receeded, though it is still very high and we have >70% chance of rain predicted every day for the next 10 days. Right now it isn't raining but grey & overcast and very windy. occasionally the sun peeks out for a brief visit.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Too much paving, I have read.  When we macadamize our world, water will not have a place to be absorbed.

Shortened your post.

Agree, many beach communities won't allow new sidewalks, patios and driveways that aren't permeable.  Understandably so.

When we moved to Florida we wondered why everyone has pavers for driveways and porches and we were told it's because the sand between them absorbs the water. I would never have thought of that. The pavers look better than concrete or asphalt but do require some regular maintainence.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The second 1,000-year rainstorm in two years engulfed Ellicott City."

"Ellicott City has been rebuilding since the 2016 flooding damaged and destroyed businesses. Local officials recently said that 96 percent of the businesses were back in operation and more than 20 new businesses had again opened in the Main Street area."

The first two statements above were pulled from online sources.  I was trying to find the statement from the Washington Post that I read in my delivered newspaper, but I could not spot it online to share with you.  In essence, a University of Maryland meteorologist who is also a member of the Capital Weather Gang said that the storm that stalled over Ellicott City was like the one that stalled over nearby Frederick, Md., a couple weeks ago, causing significant flooding.

I mentioned this similarity in a prior post here.

By the way, Maryland's fabulous governor, Larry Hogan, has referred to Ellicott City's latest flood disaster as "the second 1,000-year flood in two years."

ETA: Sadly, they are now reporting that a man is missing.

Eddison Hermond

National Guardsman Eddison Hermond is now missing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really think Ellicott City will recover.  I doubt this time the stores will come back.  The ground is just too low.  The government has tried everything. They damned the nearby Patapsco River but it still swells dangerously when there is heavy rain.  In the early 1800's there actually was a town called Avalon by the river and very close to where Ellicott City would be.  One day it stormed.  In one day the entire town was wiped out, never to be rebuilt.  The natives that lived there where miles away and had to walk miles to the river for water..  They knew the river and that area was too risky to live close by.

Honored Contributor

flood damage.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Oh, my goodness, hope you are in a safe place, @sunshine45.