Honored Contributor

Re: baltimore and maryland area flooding 5/27/18

I really like Ellicott City, but if there's a natural disaster to be had, they seem to have it. Because of the way it's laid out, the fact that it's a low point and there are at least two rivers that abut it, they often get serious flooding in the main business area... I guess there's nothing to be done about it because if there is, you'd think by now it would have been done. It's really a shame.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in Northern Virginia, and we have had very little rain today.  While watching the evening news, I heard -- with alarm -- the news about Ellicott City.  Not even two years since the town's last devastating flood.

Nearby Frederick, Md., had extreme flooding again not even a month ago.  One account stated that the Frederick's infrastructure cannot accommodate the torrential rains that are now  pounding the area.  Frederick was founded in 1748 and has lasted admirably until this time.

Too much paving, I have read.  When we macadamize our world, water will not have a place to be absorbed.

Please be safe if you are in that area affected.

Super Contributor

I'm in the Bethesda area of Maryland but poor Ellicott City just can't get a break!  I feel so sorry for those folks.  And it's really a very nice area, too.  

Honored Contributor

My late aunt and uncle lived in Turf Valley in Ellicott City -- right on the golf course.  (Or off it.)

It was lovely and I recall some fabulous times in their home.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm In the area and we used to own a place down on Main Street. I know many of the shop owners (some who have now left).

A good friend of my eldest is the man who saved a woman in her car during the last flood in a video that was seen around the world. The fact that so much is now going to be damaged again and it all could have been prevented if not for politics and greed....makes me want to puke, I'm so angry. I sincerely hope no lives are lost this time. 

This town/community has been a part of my life for almost 40 years. It's a beautiful area that has been destroyed by stupidity and greed.

Everyone stay safe if you're being hit by this violent weather tonight wherever you may be.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Too much paving, I have read.  When we macadamize our world, water will not have a place to be absorbed.

Shortened your post.

Agree, many beach communities won't allow new sidewalks, patios and driveways that aren't permeable.  Understandably so.

Esteemed Contributor

Stay safe, sending prayers to everyone affected

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45Heart  Sorry to hear...Hope you are staying Safe...Sending Prayers to you & to everyone in the Flooded areas.

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Honored Contributor

Stay safe.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 - I hope the weather will be better tomorrow there, and my thoughts are with the people of Ellicott City.

My late brother moved there right after college to work for The Howard County News. He rented an apartment, first with roommates, then on his own, near the downtown area, which was the area he covered for the paper. 

@SahmIam -  if you owned a business there, you might have seen him. He was always downtown, talking to everyone. He bought most of his furniture from a small antique store there, and my mom helped him refinish it. (I have most of that now.) He did take us to a few restaurants when we visited. It was a beautiful area. I still have the Howard County cookbook he gave me! Good memories! 

Everyone in danger stay safe.