Respected Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming you have downloaded the program and you are referring to the GWX Control Panel Screen, @momtochloe .

Yes, you should clear the Update cache.

"Automatically install Windows Updates" should say NO.

Your Windows Update settings should be set to "check for windows updates but let me decide to download and install".  (from memory)Woman Happy

Enable Monitor Mode.

Enable "Non-critical Windows 10 settings"

I think that covers everything, but there is a User Guide with the program which should answer any other questions for you.

Also, FYI, there is a black bar across the top of the GWX Control Panel program screen.  The "10" in the upper lefthand corner can be clicked to access some housekeeping available for the program, including "Check for Updates".  Thus far, the developer hasn't added anything earth shaking and has automatically updated the program for all the users when he improves it.  I check periodically (because I'm overly-protective of me laptop!Woman LOL) anyway just in case MS decides to add additional Win 10 Update files as the July 29th date creeps nearer.

Enjoy your new best fwend, and post back, if this isn't clear.Woman Happy  Oh!...and I'll keep you in my prayers for that job search.  I know how difficult that can be.Woman Wink

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

I'm assuming you have downloaded the program and you are referring to the GWX Control Panel Screen, @momtochloe .

Yes, you should clear the Update cache.

"Automatically install Windows Updates" should say NO.

Your Windows Update settings should be set to "check for windows updates but let me decide to download and install".  (from memory)Woman Happy

Enable Monitor Mode.

Enable "Non-critical Windows 10 settings"

I think that covers everything, but there is a User Guide with the program which should answer any other questions for you.

Also, FYI, there is a black bar across the top of the GWX Control Panel program screen.  The "10" in the upper lefthand corner can be clicked to access some housekeeping available for the program, including "Check for Updates".  Thus far, the developer hasn't added anything earth shaking and has automatically updated the program for all the users when he improves it.  I check periodically (because I'm overly-protective of me laptop!Woman LOL) anyway just in case MS decides to add additional Win 10 Update files as the July 29th date creeps nearer.

Enjoy your new best fwend, and post back, if this isn't clear.Woman Happy  Oh!...and I'll keep you in my prayers for that job search.  I know how difficult that can be.Woman Wink

Oh thank you so much again @Gokat . . . Comcast just left as they did a terrible job installing my internet/tv services and disconnected my AT&T home phone line in the process (this after I had met what I thought was an interested recruiter the day before at a job fair . . . oy!).

This guy was good and I think things are working much better (fingers crossed) and thank you for your kind words about my job search, I very much appreciate it!

and ps, I still have your Air Fryer Curly Fries recipe open in my recipe file.  I plan to make them this weekend (but I think I need to buy a new potato . . . Smiley Happy).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gokat ok, think I have Windows 10 out of the way . . . now on to CC Cleaner . . . thank you again my friend!  Smiley Happy

eta:  OMG who's computer is this? . . . I cannot believe how fast it is now . . . Gokat I can never thank you enough for all your help with this . . . bless you a 1,000 times over my friend!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Hey Chloe's Mom!  Hope it goes ok.  Smiley Happy

Lots of stuff to do, but once you get yourself set up you won't have this thing hassling you.    Cheers!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey Chloe's Mom!  Hope it goes ok.  Smiley Happy

Lots of stuff to do, but once you get yourself set up you won't have this thing hassling you.    Cheers!

Hey @chickenbutt thank you so much my friend!  My computer has become downright frisky (tee hee!), I cannot believe the speed I am getting after  @Gokat suggestions.  I encourage anyone that is having speed issues to take these steps as the difference is nothing short of incredible!

YAY!

Honored Contributor

Chloe's Mom - Oh good!  Smiley Happy  Yay for speedy computers and no problems!

I just changed my ISP from ATT Uverse to Charter (our cable co).  It's weird because I went from (up to) 24mbps internet speed to (up to) 60mbps and it seems the same to me.   I think once you get the internet part up to a certain speed it's pretty much all the same.

I even did a speed test and it came in at 53+ mbps.

But keeping the computer cleaned out makes a HUGE difference toward speed of processing!  Any time I do any updates, go on my bank account, or pay bills, I run the CCleaner and do a defrag.  

I like the Auslogics Defrag program (free) because it does a good job and is a zillion times faster than the Windows one that's on the computer.

Do that kind of stuff with whatever frequency is appropriate to YOUR computer use, and you will have fast running efficiency.

Also make sure you don't have those Windows Updates running automatically!  Just have it check for updates but let you know so that you can punch them through yourself AND control which ones you do.  To hide the ones you don't want, just right-click on the update and choose 'hide update'.

Respected Contributor

Okey doke, @mtc !  Job well done!Woman Wink  Now, I'll expect to be shortly seeing all about your newfound most-excellent job adventure!Woman LOLHeart

Respected Contributor

You just don't wanna let go of that ole manual process, @chickenbutt!Woman LOLWoman LOL  Habits die hard, believe me I know.  You CAN relax now and hand the reins over to GWX.  Josh is taking good care of us dontchaknow.  I've given him enough business I feel I can refer to him on a first name basis.Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLHeart

Esteemed Contributor

hey gokat, thanks.  I had a little issue with windows 10 today myself. 

Honored Contributor

Gokat wrote:

You just don't wanna let go of that ole manual process, @chickenbutt!Woman LOLWoman LOL  Habits die hard, believe me I know.  You CAN relax now and hand the reins over to GWX.  Josh is taking good care of us dontchaknow.  I've given him enough business I feel I can refer to him on a first name basis.Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLHeart

Hahaha!  Whatever.  Smiley Happy   Well, ok there IS that but also sometimes there are updates that I want to ignore so I 'hide' them.  I don't know if that applies to anybody else, though.

I was upstairs doing updates on my computer up there, and getting it on the new network, this morning.  I saw that it wanted to try and install that one with the 3s, 5s, and 8s in it that I KNOW is for Win10 (and another one that's for Win10).    I almost wanted to just let it try and I got scareded.  Just call me chicken!  Smiley Wink