Trusted Contributor

Re: appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

FYI: There is NO shortage of appliances for anyone buying a new home/condo. There is NO shortage if you have hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen/bathroom/laundry room. I know this because I just did that and was told so by my contractor and by the individual they work with at Lowes. 

We've been house hunting down here as we now know we will be staying till DH retires (unless something MAJOR happens). I ask this question in EVERY model we go through: is there going to be an issue getting appliances? Each answer is NO and the reason is "builders and contractors are given priority over the general public because that's where the money is".

I've given my contractors' name out to a few who needed new appliances and yep, no wait beyond 4 days or so. They had him install, haul and then do an "extra little job". Win win for both involved.

Now you know.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Regular Contributor

This is so true, we went to buy a new washer and dryer in July, dryer would be delivered that week but washer mid Sept. It s crazy!

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa Here in Mississippi deep freezers are like dinosaurs, they are virtually extinct.  Most folks put up vegetables and then the covid hit, so people have bought in bulk so as to not go to the grocer every week.  Our freezer went out and we were on a wait list for it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AFWIFE Oh, how I miss Brophy's--yes that would be perfect. 

I have even been missing the little sushi place downstairs. We haven't ventured down to the breakwater. Figured too many tourists not wearing masks.

We bought a portable AC gizmo like the Q sells from sears last year. It is ok, but because our house is old and has crank out windows it is very difficult to configure it. When it was 114 here we did use it and sat in front of it.

We looked into AC but because our house is old the total cost was close to 20k.

Super Contributor

I tried to get my washer repaired...we have a long time repair guy

the issue is with the parts supply chain....he said he would come for a $179 house call...but probably wont have any part...hasnt gotten any supply since early april...