Honored Contributor

Re: appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

This shortage isn't all about China.  There are many factors involved in the shortage, including outlets cancelling orders last spring to shut-downs in manufacturing due to illness and to other international suppliers doing the same.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@ProudMa   Yep, it just happened to us a few weeks ago. 13 year old fridge died. Went to ten appliance/big box stores and nada, nil, zilch, zippo. Finally found one at Home Depot that was counter depth, black stainless steel, with an ice maker in the door for $3000. That's what we mostly wanted and we had to wait two weeks for delivery rather than eight weeks. We lived out of a dorm sized fridge and two coolers and made trips to the store every other day to buy ice for the coolers. I hope none of my other appliances follow suit!

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I had a new garage door opener installed in January.  I needed to have it adjusted recently and the technician said I was lucky I got it when I did because they can't get new openers right now.  I was shocked, had never thougIht about it before.  The Covid ramifications to our lives is so deep and widespread. 

We ordered a new garage door opener and got it in over a week, along with a tech to install.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most appliances come from China.  Maybe they're exacting their revenge for Americans being so nasty about buying their manufactured products.  I wouldn't blame them.

Well we are in the middle of a trade war with them. I guess we have to make sacrifices and do without for a while.

@Porcelain- can you remind me why we're in a trade war? This never ends, does it...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most appliances come from China.  Maybe they're exacting their revenge for Americans being so nasty about buying their manufactured products.  I wouldn't blame them.

Well we are in the middle of a trade war with them. I guess we have to make sacrifices and do without for a while.

@Porcelain- can you remind me why we're in a trade war? This never ends, does it...

I have no idea why. But seems like people's washers and freezers are becoming a casualty.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Anyone needing to buy a new car-- or turn in a car off of lease, and lease a new one-- is now also out of luck.

Due to a worldwide shortage of parts needed to build new cars, b/c of factory shutdowns, the demand for new cars far ourweighs the supply. Therefore, price gouging is rampant.

My friend works in the automobile industry, so she's witnessing this first-hand.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What a depressing thread 🙁

Respected Contributor

@AFWIFE , It is nice to hear from you!

I did think about you the other day when there was this last fire. I thought they would have it out quickly but said they would watch for a couple of days. I was worried about you.

If it weren't for this darned pandemic it would be wonderful to figure out a way to get together.

I am thankful for the cooler weather and fog, but hear we are warming again next week.

Take care!---

RE the washer, ours has a water setting so am hoping it hangs on a bit. It barely gets clothes clean as it is.

Honored Contributor

You can add laptops to your list too.................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Yep.  My stacked washer dryer broke two months ago.  It fits in a tight space and i could find nothing available that had decent reviews.  So I decided to just bag it till the pandemic is over and supply is back to normal.  In the meantime i have a great laundromat two miles close with a really nice wash and fold service, dry cleaning and hand wash of delicates.