Honored Contributor

Re: appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

I've been looking for a shelf for my laundry room/mud room.  Nothing that I like is available until October/November.  

It's really frustrating...

Honored Contributor

Most appliances come from China.  Maybe they're exacting their revenge for Americans being so nasty about buying their manufactured products.  I wouldn't blame them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just bought a small upright 3.1 cu ft freezer from Wayfair.  It was delivered free in 2 days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My washer surrendered right before the pandemic hit.

I went to ABC Warehouse and paid $400 for a new Whirlpool. (I was actually buying another brand, but they didn't have it, so I was offered the Whirlpool.) It was delivered the next day.

THAT is what I call luck!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most appliances come from China.  Maybe they're exacting their revenge for Americans being so nasty about buying their manufactured products.  I wouldn't blame them.

Well we are in the middle of a trade war with them. I guess we have to make sacrifices and do without for a while.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My washer died. I looked on you tube and learned how to take the top off and remove the broken part. I did that and ordered the part on Saturday. I hope I get it. My mother died last year but we still have her house, and I can use her washer in the interim. I don't want people in my house to fix my washer and I know appliances are in short supply. Now I hope I get the part. When I ordered the part, the website said they had it in stock. 

A month ago, my central AC died. I have 1 of those roll around AC units from QVC and I was glad to have it. I live in Florida and August was quite hot. It did the job by making the house temperature bearable. I have a small house. There is a man I know, who lives down the street, he has his own AC business. Since my unit is 18 years old, I figured it was toast. He said it is almost impossible right now to do a new install. Units are in short supply and you have no choice on what type/brand of unit. 

I ended up figuring that repair out too. Just a clean-out of the drainage tube. 

I told him I will wait to get a new install, hopefully next year. Here is North Florida, I can live in the winter without air or heat, so just a little while longer before it is cool enough. In fact, right now, the air is turning on less and less. 

Update: I just checked my email and my part has shipped. Hopefully, I can fix the washer without having to pay for a new 1. 

Honored Contributor

Dealt with this situation last month when my 19 year old dryer died.  

The store I deal with had 2 in stock and one was delivered to my house within 2 days.   It just happened to be the match to the washer I bought 2 years ago.   

I paid $399 for the dryer that died, and $640 for my new dryer.   

Honored Contributor

A couple years ago, we went through a weeks-long and extremely frustrating snafu with our fridge/freezer. It was wasn't working but was under extended warranty.

To make long story short, Sears's agreement (undoubtedly boilerplate) was worded in such a way that they can prolong the process indefinitely. After about ten service visits or more, we gave up. We'd been living with a picnic ice carrier and daily or more visits to the market.

We caved and bought a new one at Home Depot -- no, we did not go for the extended warranty.

I am so glad that this didn't happen now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I've been waiting on a gas cooktop for 3 months now. Backordered and the availability date keeps getting pushed back. Latest arrival info shows 9/23. Fingers crossed.

Esteemed Contributor

Why is this?