Super Contributor

Re: appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

I ordered a chest freezer from Wayfair.  It had free shipping, was on sale and delivery within 2 weeks.  I honestly would never have thought of Wayfair but someone on my NextDoor app did it.  It was very smooth.  They also had plenty of other kitchen appliances.

Regular Contributor

We ordered a kitchen table from Lazy Boy in July. We were told delivery in Oct. and already I have made 2 payments on it. I am just keeping fingers crossed on what appliances we have and hope they last till things get back to normal.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We ordered a freezer online on May 2nd. The first delivery date was the beginning of July. The most recent delay was until September 29. We were fortunate to find one in stock at Lowe's a few weeks ago and cancelled the online order. Appliances and electronics are really hard to find. We were surprised and happy to get one, the Associate said it was the only one they had. 

Respected Contributor

I had a new garage door opener installed in January.  I needed to have it adjusted recently and the technician said I was lucky I got it when I did because they can't get new openers right now.  I was shocked, had never thought about it before.  The Covid ramifications to our lives is so deep and widespread. 

Respected Contributor

@AFWIFE , hi, are you still in my neck of the woods.

Our dishwasher broke and now the washing machine is making hideous noises. Curious where did you find a washing machine.  Hope all is well with you. ---henny

Regular Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@AFWIFE , hi, are you still in my neck of the woods.

Our dishwasher broke and now the washing machine is making hideous noises. Curious where did you find a washing machine.  Hope all is well with you. ---henny

Hi Henny! 

Yes ma'am we are still here.  Eventually we would still like to get back towards home ( Missouri).  We ended at Home Depot after checking out a few local places for prices and availability.  I don't think we got a fabulous deal but it wasn't horrible either and considering it was a month wait versus December or into next year it was worth it.  I sure do hope you are doing well.  I think of you pretty much everytime we are in SB!!

Honored Contributor

No surprise here, they have been telling consumers to expect delays and shortages in major supplies for months.  Daughter #1 intended to re-do her laundry room over the summer but is waiting until they get the new washer and dryer they want.  That won't be until sometime in early 2021.  Which  was just the best guest estimate.  They could have opted for a different model and brand but she decided to wait since the ones she has are old but working.  

Trusted Contributor

When my washer died last month went on line at Home Depot, saw the one I wanted and it said "in stock".  No problem ordering it at the store - an LG top loader for $650 and it was delivered the following week.  Funny thing is I got an email from them about 2 weeks ago announcing my model was on sale - went to their web page and their sale price was about $200 MORE than what I paid for it.  Seems like I purchased mine at the right time.  So maybe because of the shortage the prices are going up too?

Respected Contributor

My washer died I me and took over a month to to get a replacement.   Glad my daughter lives down the street.  I swore I would never touch foot in a laundromat ever again.  Hated those days.

Honored Contributor

Probably a better idea to just get your appliances repaired these days. We are accustomed to replacing them whenever something goes wrong because it was more cost effective to do so. Now, maybe repair makes more sense.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr