Super Contributor

appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

we all know about food, cleaning supply shortages. Our washer died...and it was an education.

Appliances are in short supply.  Im talking, people are RENTING washers, fridges, stoves till the model they need comes in

Speaking to my cousins across the US...this is widespread.

Forget about your desired model, color, accessories...you will be lucky to find one that fits in your home space, and is under $2000

we were lucky to find a washer, top loader under $1000...still have to wait 6 days for delivery.  Since our fridge is 28 years old, I inquired about a new one....there was 1 left that fit into my kitchen space.....

Owner of local appliance store said people have back ordered a specific type since April, and no date of delivery from manufacturer....The parts to assemble the machines are NOT being made...

So be forewarned and pray to the appliance gods

BTW big box stores...didnt answer phone, and online chat said 6-8 weeks for a delivery....for a $1900 washer....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: appliance shortages....YIKEs...this is a thing

[ Edited ]

Everything it seems has been in short supply.  Pools, bikes, air conditioners and on and on.

One of my friends went a couple of weeks ago to buy all new appliances for her kitchen.  They will not be delivered until the first week of November.  Everything is on backorder.  

Respected Contributor

Yes it is. I know several people who can't find a freezer anywhere.

Honored Contributor

My son had to buy a new dishwasher for their home three weeks ago.  I saw it Sat. for the first time and it is really nice, Samsung.  When they went to Lowe's they told them it would be easier to just show them a quick list of what they could get them.  It was just a couple of dishwashers they could choose from.  I read freezers are no where anywhere at this point with everyone staying home and eating at home. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I ordered a new loveseat and recliner 2 weeks ago.  14-16 week delivery.

I ordered a writing desk from Ethan Allen 2 weeks ago.  End of November delivery for it.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

My mother's oven blew about two weeks ago and she ordered a new one shortly there after (it was not worth repairing as it was over 20+yrs old). There is still some time before it will be delivered and installed. Many of the different oven ranges she looked at were on backorder for quite some time. Some not coming in until Thanksgiving. I think that hers will be coming next week sometime. 

It is an inconvience as she is in her upper 80's and going out to eat is not something that is easy to do. Thank goodness for microwaves.

Honored Contributor

Our clothes washer broke a couple of months ago. We already had it repaired once so this time we decided to buy a new one. Yes, choices are limited, & we couldn’t get exactly what I wanted. We were able to get the last one in the store of another model we liked. It was delivered the next day.

Honored Contributor

Well, if things get desperate at my house, I have a wood-burning fireplace, a gas grill, and a lot of ice chests. 

Regular Contributor

I had heard stories of this and knew my washer and dryer were on their last leg.  So we ordered a pair over a month ago and they will be delivered tomorrow.  Good thing since my washer died over the weekend.  I couldn't imagine going without a washer for over a month.  Some of the pairs we were looking at were on backorder until next year.  We were thankful to find the ones we did. 

Honored Contributor

Even small appliances seem to be in short supply some places. Fortunately I have not been looking for large appliances recently...but DD’s toaster died and all she could find was a few to choose from; she even went to WM...lots of them on display but only empty boxes on the shelves below. They wouldn’t sell her a display model....why not? Why keep one on the shelf if you can’t buy one? Smh