Honored Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

@kittyloo wrote:

dh and i are thinking of relocating there.  wanting to get some opnions, pros and cons.  

specifically,  bugs, weather, flooding, anything else.

this would be a really big move for us, (from Oregon), and yeah,, scary as well.  Just trying to be informed.

Oregon has passed some crazy laws lately, and it's gonna be getting wierd i think. time to vamoose.

@kittyloo It sounds like a good move you are making.  There are lots of lovely areas along and and a few hours drive from the Gulf and the Southeastern seaboard.  Lots of places there I'd like to live!  

Good luck with your search!  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Lest anyone is confused: Oregon only decriminalized possession, making it a civil crime rather than a criminal crime. The drugs themselves and the selling of them are still against the law.

I'm not supportive of it.  Now you will pay a small fine for an arrest for heroin, meth or cocaine.  I just think it was a bad move.

@Snoopp, I understand your POV. However, I think the onus should be less on the users and more on the suppliers. Cut off the head. It would certainly take a load off our overwhelmed prisons.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 hates Texas...lol....just like you couldnt pay me to live in California--beautiful state but the cost of living, wild fires, smog, earthquakes, electrical blackouts, and a host of other things is a turn off to me...to each their own...

@Spurt.  Would you believe my maternal great grandfather was a Texas Ranger back in the early days?  I also have a defender of the Alamo among my ancestors.  On dads side, my great grand father cowboyed in West Texas, married and eventually ranched in SW Kansas.  He was murdered in a land dispute with a neighbor about 1915.

I have roots there.  I just don't like most of it.

@Kachina624 

WOW what an interesting family history ...and a defender of the Alamo......I'm impressed 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

Oh good grief!  I can't believe the negative comments I'm reading here about TX.  I am a native Texan, and would never consider moving from this great state.  My only advice is to stay clear of the west part.  Way too congested.  I live in the upper east part, and love it!  I've lived in large towns and small, and would never leave this small town environment.  We Texans are strong and proud.  Don't mess with Texas!!!     

@MomCat.  Maybe you ought to get out and see other places, especially if you think West Texas is congested.  As far as I'm concerned, although flatter than a pancake, it's the best of the state.

@Kachina624 

When we traveled to West Texas we went to Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Stockton and Big Bend State Park open land and small towns and El Capitan mountains not crowded at all we didn't go to El Paso though 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I always enjoy your informative travelogues too, @Spurt .

I've mentioned here before, that my well-traveled Canadian mother fell in love with little Burnett, Texas when she and my Dad started visiting relatives there.  She adored it, and would have moved there in a split second if circumstances would have permitted.  Which was unusual for her.   I'm thinking it's in the hill country, or, if not, at least adjacent to it....

@Oznell   Burnet is part of the Hill Country Trail Region.  It is known as the Bluebonnet capital of Texas.  (Photos may not be all from Burnet.)

eta:  Just saw Spurt's post. 

Pin by Poca 🍁🦅🌈 on Toast of Texas | Texas bluebonnets, Nature, Scenery

Photos of Texas Bluebonnets | Travel + Leisure

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I wouldn't move to Texas at this point. Maybe in 5 or 10 years. And even then I'd only be interested in Austin.

@Porcelain That being said, I doubt very much if you'd be happy in Texas. 

I can be happy anywhere. Even in Texas. Woman Happy I think Washington state is really beautiful.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I love San Diego, CA.  I don't have a problem with CA.  The weather is beautiful and I can get out and enjoy life daily.

I can't imagine living anywhere other than sunny and warm CA.

Super Contributor

GURL...   The west coast just has TOO much BAD KARMA.  Would never live there!

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I love San Diego, CA.  I don't have a problem with CA.  The weather is beautiful and I can get out and enjoy life daily.

I can't imagine living anywhere other than sunny and warm CA.

DH and I went to San Diego about 5 yrs ago. Never been to CA  and I absolutely LOVED it there. I live in Kansas so we get our share of cold weather in winter. This was March and when we landed it was so nice and warm. Many places in SD to tour and lots of good seafood.  Being a panda lover the first stop for me was the zoo. So glad I saw them when I did as I think all the pandas at your zoo have since returned to China.

I'd love to go back soon to SD for another visit!

Super Contributor

Hi KKJ!  When you return to San Diego for a visit, you are right.  We have no pandas right now, but we do have platypuses at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park...the only place in the world where you can see them outside of Australia!  Looking forward to welcoming you here again!

i have learned so much about so many places in this thread.  I think that wherever a person’s roots are is the place that has the greatest draw for him or her.  For me, it’s San Diego.  We have so many transplants here from various parts of the country.  And while they have made the choice to make San Diego their new home, the place of origin has the deepest meaning.  (I did attend college in Boston, so I have lived elsewhere, at least for a bit, and would love to spend extended time in other places, but true home is here.)