Honored Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

Those carpets of bluebonnets just seem to shimmer in the Texas sun, @Cakers3 !   I didn't know they were particularly associated with Burnet too.  I love the fact the wildflowers wind in and around the roads of the state-- fabulous.  I seem to remember there are fiery red ones that also are prevalent, but their name escapes me....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Those carpets of bluebonnets just seem to shimmer in the Texas sun, @Cakers3 !   I didn't know they were particularly associated with Burnet too.  I love the fact the wildflowers wind in and around the roads of the state-- fabulous.  I seem to remember there are fiery red ones that also are prevalent, but their name escapes me....

@Oznell 

Firewheel/Indian Blanket

Indian Blanket Seeds (heirloom annual variety) - 1 packet

Indian Paintbrush

Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja coccinea)-CACOCs

These are the two most familiar to me, especially the Firewheel/Indian Blanket.

Bluebonnets abound in our area, too, but sadly with the explosion of housing/strip malls being built many of these fields are being wiped out.  Roadsides are still in bloom but I see a difference since we first moved here.

You can grow many of these; often in packets of mixed seeds.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

@Shoesnbags - I agree with you about people who complain about the heat!  Heat doesn't prevent you from driving to the airport like a blinding whiteout snowstorm does.  Heat doesn't create black ice for you to slip on and break a wrist (which a friend of mine unfortunately just did!)  One of the big reasons we moved from Colorado to Texas was to get away from snow and into the heat!  If you're too hot, stay inside, or turn on your vehicle air-conditioning and drive to a cooler spot.

Cedar fever, bugs, heat - I'd take them all over snow, any day.  Do we love Texas?  YES!!!!!  And "Texas-friendly" is definitely for real.  We have the nicest neighbors ever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell @Cakers3 

One thing I learned about the wildflowers In talking to the people at the Wildseed Farm in Fredericksburg (they sell seed packets of the wildflowers there)....South & South Central Texas sees the wildflowers first, usually in March, while the Hill Country and the northern parts of the State don't see the wildflowers come out until April, since their weather is slightly cooler .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for supplying those missing (in my brain) flower names, @Cakers3 !

That is neat, @Spurt , that, depending on their location and "micro-climate",  those beautiful flowers appear in subsequent "waves" across the state....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, thanks for supplying those missing (in my brain) flower names, @Cakers3 !

That is neat, @Spurt , that, depending on their location and "micro-climate",  those beautiful flowers appear in subsequent "waves" across the state....

@Oznell 

My friends and I like to go on a "wildflower safari" and travel around and take photos.....we didnt get together last year due to covid......hopefully we can this year....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo ...I feel for you.  Moving to a place you know very little about or perhaps, nothing about, is quite scary.  My daughter keeps threatening that we will be moving to Oregon because the heat in Arizona is intolerable for her.  I, on the other hand do not want to live in a state where the sun only shines less than 200 days a year, is chilly most of the time, and drizzles or rains a good part of the year.

Now you mentioned that Oregon has passed some crazy laws lately, will you be so kind as to tell me what they are?  I hope you find a suitable place to call home. Woman Happy Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I was never in East Texas, but I'm a reader of Joe Lansdale.  Nearly all his books are set in East Texas, so I've learned a lot abut the area.  The area is  heavily forested.  Sabine National Forest, etc.  There's the Sabine river too. Very hot and humid. Some of his books were set in the 1930's. So people at night slept out doors.  Life there now with air conditioning must be a blessing.Some of the forests are huge. Starting from the Red River in the north all the way down South.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

dh and i are thinking of relocating there.  wanting to get some opnions, pros and cons.  

specifically,  bugs, weather, flooding, anything else.

this would be a really big move for us, (from Oregon), and yeah,, scary as well.  Just trying to be informed.

Oregon has passed some crazy laws lately, and it's gonna be getting wierd i think. time to vamoose.

I live in North East Texas and just yesterday brushed 4 inches of snow off my car.  First snow in about three years.  Usually have at least one good ice storm.  Summer weather could very easily be next week then back to a mild winter.  It is back and forth between Nov. and early April.  Then hot hot hot.   Allergies are a big thing with the trees and mold spores.   Even folks who never suffered may have a hard time of it.  Bugs are the same as about anywhere.  But I did see one roach in a ladies room about four months ago that could have been roped and ridden it was so big.  Texas is absolutely wonderful and good for your pocket book, regardless of possible tornadoes, and the Dallas Cowboys having loosing season again and again.  Come on down and have some Tex Mex.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate/baiting