Honored Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

[ Edited ]

Native Texans love it, but I couldn't wait to leave after 5 years living there.  I think they were glad to see me go since I am from the Northeast.  

Hot, humid, bugs as big as elephants. FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!  Spent many a night unable to sleep because of the itching.  Nothing worked. They are horrible.  I think fleas have taken over, too.  

I lived in North Houston.  Everything is so spread out, it requires a lot of driving.  Went to the dog show in South Houston and it felt like a pack a lunch trip.  

Had been to South Texas, Galveston, San Antonio,  Dallas, drove from Amarillo to Midland and passed cattle standing in the snow.  Much of Texas is flat. 

Lived through 2 floods.  A tornado that damaged houses across the street where I lived.  A hurricane where a huge tree fell on the house beside me.  

After living in California with an earthquake that damaged my house, it was pretty much in Texas, "Let me out of here.  I've had enough.  I'm going home."

The fun part of Texas is seeing so many Longhorns and horses, but I see Longhorns here bred for show and lots of horses too not far from my house.  Not so many dogs in pickup trucks as Texas, though.  

Super Contributor

So many cockroaches.  Scorpions.  Tarantulas.  No.  I lived there for about four years and that was MORE than enough.  Also lived through an F4 tornado.  NO.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I lived in Houston 35 years and deep East Texas is similar but worse and without gulf breezes.  It's flat, heavily wooded, hot and humid with plentiful mosquitoes + cockroaches including huge palmetto bugs and other insects and venomous rattlesnakes, coral snakes and copperheads.  I wouldn't live there on a bet!  I went to a lot of trouble to get out of the area.

@Kachina624 

I agree, could not wait to get out of Texas.  All you mentioned above, plus storms including hurricanes.  Sometimes regular storms can be as bad as a hurricane.  Oh, and flooding!!!  Insurance is high also.

Yes, no state income tax.  It doesn't matter though, you pay extra in other ways.  If they don't get your money one way, they take it another way.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm on the east coast and have never been to Texas.  After seeing the picture ya'll painted, don't think I ever want to go there!  haha

Valued Contributor

Kittyloo, come on down! I have lived all over Tx. I love the heat. It is 50 now and I am freezing. The Lake Livingston area is nice. It is a good location. I wouldn't go any farther south. I have been through several hurricanes...pretty scary.
Check out Georgetown. .. north of Austin. It is a retirement community. Dripping Springs is a nice place...close to Wimberley and San Marcos. I have never had a problem with bugs or snakes, but they are around. Texas does have AC. Most people are very nice. Look around...you will find some place you will like. If you want small town, I'd suggest La Grange.
Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe We lived in Coos Bay, Oregon for a year and it was horrible. While the area is stunningly beautiful and the air fresh from all the fir trees, you MUST, MUST, MUST love rain. We bought a little farm and it rained 8 months straight. When I say rain, I mean 24/7 for a week at a time. Our property was flooded most of the time, which was common for the area we lived in. We were originally from California, and they did not like the fact that Californians were coming in droves and driving up their property costs. I could certainly understand how they felt.

Super Contributor

I can't speak for East Texas since I live in Dallas, but wanted to encourage you to research allergens in the area before you make a decision.  I moved here from Charlotte, NC, 2 years ago and was miserable with allergies pretty much the whole first year I was here.  Never had that problem before, so I was woefully unprepared.  I have to take Claritin pretty much year-round now.  The Austin area is particularly bad for "cedar fever".   

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover

I’ve lived in Oregon and I still have family there. Southern Oregon doesn’t get as much rain as farther north or along the coast. But I love rain. Some areas can have issues with the flooding from the snowmelt but not in the town where I have family. Wildfires have definitely become a big issue in recent years. Hotter. Drier. Lots of dry lightening strikes during summer and early fall.
Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate. @Citrine1. There are other unsavory factors which make the state undesirable for me, which can't be mentioned here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I live in the Dallas area. Other than the heat in the summer (100 degrees many days), hail storms that knock big holes in the yard and break all of the windows out of the house, and the cars beaten to a pulp, dodging tornadoes every spring and summer, terrible traffic, it is a pretty good place. Ha I wonder about the unsavory things Kachina is talking about.