Respected Contributor

anyone ever have their insurance company

inform you they are dropping you?

Here's the situation. I have been with this company for over 20 years. I go through the small local office, that brokers for this major company.  

to begin with, i have NEVER filed a homeowner claim. 

I have several properties with this company.  rentals, and at the time my house as well. 

I moved out of town, and wanted to change my homeowners to a rental/landlord policy.  The girl gave me a quote for 3x's the homeowners policy. ??????

As a rule, rental policies are much less than homeowner policies. 

So i'm thinking WHAT!!!  (she said that the house in question had some moss on the roof, and needed to be power washed) I am in a coastal area of the PNW. 

What she was describing is not uncommon in our area. 

Next thing i know, she is sending out someone to inspect all my rentals.  

Fast forward 2 weeks. I received a letter stating that they will be dropping one of my rentals.

because there is some debris in a downspout, a storage shed outbuilding has some type of exterior damage, they found a tree that has a branch touching the house, and one window had some dry rot. 

They didn't identify which or where of anything. only if i address all problems, and send photos, they MIGHT continue my coverage.

since when does a property have to be in pristine condition in order for a company to insure them?

Anyone heard of a insurance company sending out inspectors just to check on the condition of your property, and if you're still worthy to be insured?

I am super irritated.  20+ years no claims. and i get this?

Trusted Contributor

Re: anyone ever have their insurance company

they want to cut their loses and keep only the ones that provide them with profit.  they are interested in profit only

they should be glad that you did not drop them

Honored Contributor

That stinks. 

Valued Contributor

We've been with State Farm for many years.  We have auto and homeowner's.

I just received a letter a few weeks ago that our property was inspected and they found no issues.  I thought that was strange - never happened before.

It does stink that they want to drop you.  Maybe you can find another company in the meantime.  I don't know if you'll be denied or your rate will be higher if you're dropped with one company.

Honored Contributor

My friend told me his insurance company dropped him.  I forget why but it didn't seem like it made sense to me.

Good grief!  I've had the same company for all of my insurace, car, house, company and 'umbrella/castrophe'.

Everyone should have castrophe insurance, everyone.  It isn't easy to get, but people need it.

Say you have an accident and get sued.  The people can end up getting awarded much more than your insurance pays.  They can make you sell your house and on and on to get the money from you.

Castrophe will cover the difference.  We've always had castrophe.  I have spoken to several lawyers (business stuff) and they all said they have castrophe insurance.

If there are young people who are driving, they said people would be fools not to have it.  Just a side note.

Totally off subject.  OK, so what I meant to say was lightning hit our house a few months before 9/11.  We couldn't live in it for 5 full months.

It cost our insurance company a few dollars short of $300,000!!  We only had to pay $500 of that!

They never dropped us.  I think you need to check into this a little further.  But to answer your question, I've heard of companies dropping people.

Frequent Contributor

We live in south Florida and this particular situation has not happened to us.  However, our neighbors did change their insurance carrier and the first thing they did before issuing a policy was to send an inspector to check out the house (which is in really ln good condition).  When they found out that the roof was 15 years old, the neighbors were told they had to put a new roof on before they would insure the property even though the roof had no damage.  This has got to be something new with insurance companies but it sounds like their complaints on your property were not extensive so don't know their problem, except as was mentioned, it is to minimize any losses down the road.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago my Mom's outdoor shed caught on fire, it was a lot of work to restore the damage done ot the porch on the house, etc. after that State Farm dropped her like a hot potato.

Honored Contributor

I never have but, back in the day when I was in insurance, I have non-renewed policies.  It's always for good reason.

But I cannot help wondering if, for the reason they gave you, they couldn't have sent something before that advising you of the problem and give you the opportunity to fix it, unless it was a chronic problem.

Trusted Contributor

Most insurance companies have a Loss Control Dept., my friend works in one. They periodically go out and inspect homes in different areas of the state, to make sure they are up to par.  They can turn in a report that a pit bull dog lives at the house, the roof needs replacing, a huge tree is hanging over the house, etc. etc.   It is to help cut their losses in case of bad storms, dogs biting kids, etc.   If a bad storm blows that big tree onto a house, could be a big claim presented.  Just the tidbits I have learned from my friend.

Respected Contributor

my hubby thinks that they are "cherry picking" now.  

I've paid for over 20 years. No claims, but now, as it's a little older home, it must be about time for something to happen, that i would file a claim.

The newer the home, the less claims??