Honored Contributor

Re: anyone ever have their insurance company

@CelticCrafter Every insurance company is different (requirements) and coverage.

I'm sure it 'helps' if a person hasn't had judgments against them, etc.

I was told my insurance company checks out everything.  One's net worth (with my insurance company as far as how much they cover) comes into play.  It makes sense that it would.

My main reason for posting it was to tell people that they should look into getting it.  Regular insurance (especially these days, with sue crazy people, doesn't cover much).

When my late husband and I had our companies we had to have insurance for the company.  It covered things like if someone came to our house and tripped and sued, etc.  It was stupid because no one ever came to our house but we jumped through the hoops and paid for it.

People don't realize how important it is that they read and understand their insurance.  When we had the house fire, our insurance says, "SAME AS".  That meant everything had to be replaced as close to the amount of cost as possible.

We were told we could rent a house the size of ours if we wanted to.  We were able to eat anywhere we wanted to (save receipts and get reimbursed at the end of two weeks or month (I forget now).  New furniture, even the wallpaper had to be replaced if I wanted it back up!

Anyway, I do hope most people have some kind of good insurance because we always need it.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter I should have added that my guess is before the insurance company pays out, they expect the insurred to pay out a very large percentage of what's due.  

That's probably why they check out net worth (i.e. house, etc) so they (the insurance co) doesn't loose their shirt.

These days 3 and 4 million dollars paid out happens all of the time if you read the papers.  Jury's think all of the money comes out of the insurance company but I doubt that it does.

I hope I never have to find out.

Trusted Contributor

@kittyloothis happened to us once. When we signed up with a different insurance co we got a letter or email that said we had missing roof shingles and if it wasn't repaired immedicatley we would be dropped.  When we contacted our agent he was stunned and said that letter or email can't remember which, didn't come from his office but was done from their main ofc which was not located in our state at all.  We were told to just email or bring in pictures of our roof which we did and many years later no further problems. We were never dropped but it did anger my husband that they sent that out to us and there was not one shingle missing from our roof.  In fact it is something he keeps on top of.  

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne

Geez!!  You pay them close to $100 grand and this is how they thank you! And some people wonder why we hate insurance companies?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

inform you they are dropping you?

Here's the situation. I have been with this company for over 20 years. I go through the small local office, that brokers for this major company.  

to begin with, i have NEVER filed a homeowner claim. 

I have several properties with this company.  rentals, and at the time my house as well. 

I moved out of town, and wanted to change my homeowners to a rental/landlord policy.  The girl gave me a quote for 3x's the homeowners policy. ??????

As a rule, rental policies are much less than homeowner policies. 

So i'm thinking WHAT!!!  (she said that the house in question had some moss on the roof, and needed to be power washed) I am in a coastal area of the PNW. 

What she was describing is not uncommon in our area. 

Next thing i know, she is sending out someone to inspect all my rentals.  

Fast forward 2 weeks. I received a letter stating that they will be dropping one of my rentals.

because there is some debris in a downspout, a storage shed outbuilding has some type of exterior damage, they found a tree that has a branch touching the house, and one window had some dry rot. 

They didn't identify which or where of anything. only if i address all problems, and send photos, they MIGHT continue my coverage.

since when does a property have to be in pristine condition in order for a company to insure them?

Anyone heard of a insurance company sending out inspectors just to check on the condition of your property, and if you're still worthy to be insured?

I am super irritated.  20+ years no claims. and i get this?

Why don't you keep your property in better condition?

@glb613

Really? I hope your insurance company never bites you in your a**!  Such a comment, and without knowing more than you read. Really surprised seeing you writing such a condescending reply.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)