Honored Contributor

Re: any thoughts on the mess at Mayo clinic

The only thought I have regarding this story has to do with the oxycodone.  I can see why she was taken off this opioid; with so much regulation (and it's needed) I would say that the Mayo Clinic is not exempt from dispensing opioids outside of current regulations.

I think that part of the story sides with Mayo and not the family.

The rest is up for the lawyers, the family, and Mayo Clinic to sort out. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Mayo Clinic took the extraordinary move late Wednesday of responding aggressively to what it describes as "inaccurate, incomplete and irresponsible reporting" from CNN, one of the nation's largest news outlets.

In a letter to CNN leadership, Mayo asserts that reporters Elizabeth Cohen and John Bonifield ignored the details of a "complex situation involving a vulnerable adult in a suspected abusive family environment."

"As an organization, we value the role of the news media and do not expect unanimously favorable coverage of Mayo Clinic; our goal is to earn it," said Chris Gade, chair of Mayo's Department of Public Affairs. "But, what we do expect is accurate and fair reporting. For 18 months, we shared information to help the CNN reporters investigate the facts of the situation. They clearly understood our concern for the patient’s safety, they chose to ignore those concerns and did not check or report on public records associated with this case right up to the point the story aired/was published."

Gade said the CNN reporters were committed to a pre-determined narrative despite contrary facts. He also accused the reporters of "contacting direct patient care staff with veiled threats and asking them to breach confidentiality in order to corroborate information." 

The letter from Gade included a dozen bullet points outlining concerns it had with the report. According to Mayo, the reporters chose to disregard and not investigate facts that were shared with them in off-the-record meetings.

[read the full letter here]

Below is the list of what Mayo cites as inaccuracies in CNN's reporting:

• The role of the biological father in making care decisions for his daughter during her hospital stay when the mother was unavailable.
  • Allegations of the mother’s abuse of the patient.
  • Mayo reported suspected abuse of the patient, a vulnerable adult, to the County as part of our statutory reporting requirement; and reported again when the patient was removed from the hospital without a safe discharge plan.
  • Mayo never sought to be appointed as a guardian or make decisions for the patient; instead, Mayo notified the County of the patient’s vulnerable adult status and asked for assistance in identifying a decision-maker.
  • Mayo never denied a request from the family to transfer the patient to a different facility.
  • Mayo did not arbitrarily remove the mother from the hospital; instead she was removed after she exhibited escalating disruptive and aggressive behavior that interfered with the care of her daughter and resulted in multiple staff members reporting fear for their safety. A team of Mayo staff members also met with the mother and stepfather to explain why she was removed and they expressed understanding.
  • Our care team provided appropriate pain management according to the pain needs of the patient and was concerned when the mother requested opioids for her daughter so that the mother could get some sleep.

Mayo said the "egregious errors" in the story left the clinic with no choice but to share additional information about the circumstances. "This is a decision we do not take lightly, and it is highly unusual for us," a news release said.

On Monday, CNN published allegations from a family accusing the clinic of "medical kidnapping" a teen patient following brain surgery. The report aired repeatedly on the network and was throughout the day featured as the top story on its website homepage. Mayo initially criticized the report, but did not address the situation in detail until today.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no experience w/oxy but administered in patient I would think there's far less chance of the patient abusing it.

I do have experience at a similar World Class Clinic and while all of it was outpatient, it was frightening. Sent for test after test, being misdiagnosed, draining my insurance and my wallet they wanted to deny me a copy of my own medical records. My doctor ordered procedures but wouldn't say why they were necessary.

I learned that if there were a world class doctor with experience treating your health issue but were not associated with the clinic you would never hear about it. Health care has become only a money machine.

Esteemed Contributor

They just needed a good lawyer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@RainCityWoman they have a wonderful reputation, and they did save this girls life

The mother was getting some sort of help from social media.It might have just been comfort, but the entire thing is just a carnival...I  still don't know who I  believe

@cherry  You know the stellar reputation Mayo Clinic has.  The other people are probably liars.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I will confess I don't know what to believe at this point

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/13/health/mayo-clinic-escape-1-eprise/index.html

I think something is strange about the parents' story. Part of the argument was over the continuing use of opiods. Mayo staff were worried about addiction but the parents wanted to continue their use. In this age with so many addiction problems, I was surprised about the parents's reaction. Too bad Mayo cannot comment. 

The article clearly states that this was just a few days after her fourth surgery. Her neurologist intended for her to take the drugs he prescribed, it was the rehab unit doctors who wanted her off the drugs.  I've certainly taken the prescribed painkillers after major surgery without getting addicted. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

As my Grandmother always said, “There is no pancake so flat that it doesn’t have two sides.”

Would interesting to hear the other side.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

No one is perfect, including Mayo.  I am sure there is more to the story and I know Mayo has a good legal department. According to what I have read, problems started in rehab.  Egos may have been involved.  

The good news is the patient is better, and I hope to be able to hear more about the story, from both sides.  Will it end in a lawsuit?   Time will tell........... 

Respected Contributor

As an RN, there has to be way more to this story.  This young woman is lucky to be alive.  I have a relative that died at age 27 of a ruptured aneurysm, and have personally cared for several.

This young woman does not seem normal to me, not uncommon after surgery for this disorder.  I don't see her as completely competent.

The parents disagreed with her care in rehab.   Rehab is a specialty and these people could have been world class pains.  Of course you need to take family input in consideraton.  But they are not always right.  I have never been involved in someone sneaking a patient out, but certainly have known family disputes.  Sometimes you welcome patients going somewhere else!

There is way more to this, and of course, a network wants the sensational part.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

This story sounds fishy to me....but it's too bad Mayo can't put their side of the story out there because of HIPPA...