Super Contributor

Re: any thoughts on the mess at Mayo clinic

@cherry wrote:

I will confess I don't know what to believe at this point

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/13/health/mayo-clinic-escape-1-eprise/index.html

I think something is strange about the parents' story. Part of the argument was over the continuing use of opiods. Mayo staff were worried about addiction but the parents wanted to continue their use. In this age with so many addiction problems, I was surprised about the parents's reaction. Too bad Mayo cannot comment. 

Honored Contributor

Well, for those interested:

Our experience with the Mayo clinic is one we documented very carefully. I have no doubt that what this family went through is true. I have no doubt that the Mayo clinic doctors consulted with the attorneys Mayo has on staff and believed they could do whatever they wanted. Ego. Attitude. Huge sense of entitlement. All words I and those who have experienced "issues" at Mayo would use to describe the doctors as well as the atmosphere of the Clinic. 

Understand that one HUGE aspect of the Mayo Clinic (as with John Hopkins) is their research; being known as the THE PLACE that discovered XYZ is their bread and butter and the more they publish info on rare/unique medical conditions, the more money the pull in. Because of this, their policies aren't exactly what you expect or understand until something happens.

My husband read the article, forwarded it to me and said "who does this situation remind you of?"

Let's just say, nothing in the article suprised or shocked us. We both read it while thinking "yep. That's right. Exactly".

Esteemed Contributor

I read the article and the situation is surely a mess. I hope someone can wade through this tragedy make sense of it, and do the right thing to help this young woman.

Honored Contributor

OMG.... I've got goosebumps because I pretty much lived this with a skilled nursing facility (right when they were starting skilled nursing facilities) when my Dad was saved at a local hospital and then transferred to one.  I believe the family 1,000%!!!

....  OMG, I wish I had the time to go through all threats I received and gave in order to get my Dad the care he needed (he was on a respirator and couldn't move, but was 100% with it).  The suits didn't want him to have resusitation because of his age and situation, we did and HE did.  No one would call an ambulance when he'd get virulent infections.  He had one so bad that I could smell it at the foot of his bed!  I would come every day and check his oxygen saturation levels myself until the day they hid it from me.  They wouldn't tell me anything so I would find his "chart" and started reading it until they kept the cart where his chart was from me.   

I had to get pertinent information from CANHR (California Advocate for Nursing Home Reform) to help.  It was HORRIBLE!    My Dad lived 23 months but he would have passed far sooner without an advocate.....  

I believe this.... the family wanted the girl transferred, I see nothing  wrong with that at all.  

I tried to get my Dad transferred and they threatened me with transferring him OUT OF STATE so I wouldn't be able to visit.  My next threat was the local news station and he got to stay (at the time there were only two convalescent centers that  could handle respirators).......  

Awful Awful time.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Oh my!  My only thought is, I'll wait to hear more of the story.  There HAS to be be more to this  . . .

Just because the patient says it is so, does not mean it is so.

@Peaches McPhee

The patient is the "customer" and whether or not the incidents occurred as she stated- her perception is her reality. 

This is a business and professionalism got lost in the care of this patient. 

Honored Contributor

I know nothing about Mayo Clinic.  That said, my sister and I went through a really bad experience over my mother's care at a Michigan hospital for several months in 2010.  When I utter the word hellmouth, everyone who knows me understands exactly which St John Health System facility that I am talking about.  

I for one, believe this family more than I believe the Mayo Clinic.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

BTW, one more thing.  My Mom and  were taken into a little room with a Suit and the Head Nurse who started mildly bereting us about how expensive my Dad's care already was up to this point (he was in an HMO)   The purpose of this little thumb-screw exercise was to get my Mom to sign  Do Not resusitate. She didn't, and their attitude made me furious!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

No one here has even a clue as to what happened. The only thing I know is that they have saved many lives, but would never comment on a scenario that I know nothing about. 

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking @151949 is right on target.  Patients are not bound by the law -  the professionals are.  And we are hearing one side.  It's not enough.

This is an ugly situation however it goes eventually -  years ago when my ex and I separated, I often answered questions from those who had no idea,  that there seem to be 3 sides -  his, mine, and the truth.  Where that truth lies is seldom clear, and that's going to be my way of thinking about this "divorce" between the family and the hospital.

Valued Contributor

I have been to this clinic and received top notch care from the Vascular Dept. - the complete opposite from the Gastro Dept (fellowship Dr.) I transferred elsewhere and just said I needed to go somewhere closer to home as travel was a hardship( University of Iowa) as I need more care in gastro dept.