Respected Contributor

Re: any shortages or sold out in your stores?

@Carmie wrote:

@shoesnbags   I live in the suburbs of Harrisburg, which is the capital of PA.   

@Carmie  Was born in Harrisburg and lived in the burbs till I was mid teens.  We were the typical family back then in that all extended family lived nearby - aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents.  Dad was a civilian working at Olmstead AFB in Middletown PA (where we lived) but it closed down and the place became a ghost town bc it employed so many people.  He had heard there were jobs in N. VA and we moved here when I was mid teens but went back often to visit extended family there.  Now, no one is left.    

No one would probably have ever known anything about or heard of Middletown were it not for the fact that is where Three Mile Island is located.  Back in the day had family in Hershey, Elizabethtown, Highspire, Steelton, and probably towns whose name I've long forgotten.

Esteemed Contributor

Like many things, some posters minimize it.  Some maximize it.  Most of us will find our appropriate way somewhere in the middle.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Like many things, some posters minimize it.  Some maximize it.  Most of us will find our appropriate way somewhere in the middle.

Where we all live, our ages and general health affect our reactions.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I haven't been to the store since the coronovirus hit.  I live in Washington State but I need groceries so heading to grocery store and Costco tomorrow.  Hopefully they will be restocked on some items.  

My DIL is at Costco this morning.  She says it's not too crazy but people are buying tp and water.  She's a city over from your area.  I'm still in AZ for a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

I try never to get low on toilet paper. No need to hoard it. I read on one the threads here yesterday that someone was stocking up on batteries in addition to bottled water like a hurricane was imminent. We are not facing interruptions in the power and water supply to my knowledge. As far as food goes if I had to self quarantine I suspect my family or neighbors could pick up food and leave it on my front porch.  If not I would use one of the delivery services.  People are acting like the bubonic plague is here. Are people carrying around bottles of alcohol and Clorox wipes to clean everything that they touch? And no I don't think that people who are buying up everything in sight are uneducated or crazy. But I think people are overreacting and hoarding is a self fulfilling prophecy as it contributes to shortages.  

@50Mickey, in a situation that demands a quarantine, your family and even your neighbors might not be able to go pick up food. As for deliver services, they might be impacted as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@tansy 

Thanks for the info.  Hopefully it will be good tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

They said everyone needs to stock up with 2 weeks of groceries plus a few other things. Peanut butter has protein so a good thing to have. I bought peanuts to make some. I also stocked up on other nuts for baking & eating.

I scored 2 large 65.7 oz bottles of hand sanitizer from Amazon. They had 8 left in stock so called my sister. By the time she got online they were sold out.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

This reminds me of the Y2K hysteria.  People hoarding water, food and duct tape.  

We've always had a flu that wasn't coveres by a vaccine. Thousands get the flu and thousands die from it. 

I'm sure people with compromised immune systems are being vigilant

My mom's neighbor has a bomb shelter attached to their house (built many years ago). 
panic takes many forms 

I worked on a huge project fixing some old databases in the healthcare industry to prepare for the Y2K turnover. If people hadn't been working on it, some of the feared issues would have occurred. Some people reacted to the wrong threats at the time, for sure. But there were real threats that responsible professionals fixed without anyone even knowing it. And now people foolishly point back to that excellent proactive response, and treat it as a reason to ignore actual issues now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Our grocery stores, Kroger and Publix, have TP, but no hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes. Some other areas are unusually picked over as well. It reminds me of the shopping response that always happens here when snow is forecast.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I drink tap water but I have some life straws in case the bathtub water gets  dirty, ha!

So I went on Amazon and ordered two collapsible water containers - each holds 2 and a half gallons and they don't take up much space when collapsed.  I'm expecting (hoping) not to need them in this present situation and they won't take up much space waiting to be used in a future emergency.

I ordered them yesterday, Amazon is out of stock today.  Some other of their camping water holders are not available either.