Honored Contributor

Re: any shortages or sold out in your stores?

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

I try never to get low on toilet paper. No need to hoard it. I read on one the threads here yesterday that someone was stocking up on batteries in addition to bottled water like a hurricane was imminent. We are not facing interruptions in the power and water supply to my knowledge. As far as food goes if I had to self quarantine I suspect my family or neighbors could pick up food and leave it on my front porch.  If not I would use one of the delivery services.  People are acting like the bubonic plague is here. Are people carrying around bottles of alcohol and Clorox wipes to clean everything that they touch? And no I don't think that people who are buying up everything in sight are uneducated or crazy. But I think people are overreacting and hoarding is a self fulfilling prophecy as it contributes to shortages.  

Not everyone lives in a situation like you do. 

People who live rural don't always have others close by that can easily pick things up for them, especially if panic buyers have created empty shelves. And delivery services don't exist from local stores for many of us in small towns or rural either. Ordering from Amazon and Walmart I've found to be sketchy. Sometimes they have things in stock I'm wanting, sometimes they don't, and simple things like a certain brand/flavor of cat food, or other mundane every day things, so in a panic buying situation, that might be out for people too. So some people's buying could be related to just not having a lot of resources for help in the middle of the event.

I agree that people panic buying right now are part of the problem, but those of us who advocate stocking all basic necessities as a routine way of life are often scorned for doing so when there is no increased demand as well. 

I have not 'had' to go out and get anything related to the Coronavirus, as we are well stocked and have been. I really thought that post Katrina, more and more people were seeing the light, and even the government keeps upping the amounts and kinds of things they advise people to stay stocked on, but obviously, many still aren't and others are just buying more on top of the supply they have already laid back. If things would get bad, I'm sure we will see a lot of black market gouging for the stuff people are overbuying, and maybe that is the intent of some of them.

Honored Contributor

@EllieMuncaster wrote:

My son works for a grocery store in the DC region. On Sunday he said the store did 3 times the normal volume of sales. Customers were asking for gloves, distinfectant, and dry milk! I definately went on alert after hearing that.

I don't think I'm panicing, I'm just being practical. I think there could be supply chain issues. So many items come to us internationally. Even if a product is made in the USA, components may come from overseas. Also companies may tell workers to not come to work to minimize the spread of the virus. Production will slow down.

With all of that we only purchased one extra case of water and a pack of cold medicine (that we needed anyways to have on hand). 

@EllieMuncaster 

You are so right about the supply chain issue. It's fragile on a good day, more so than most people even realize, but with so much of our products, even everyday products and medicines coming from China and other places outside our country, people need to be aware of what they have, what might be putting a kink in the supply of it, and stock accordingly to their expected needs. 

We have a well, but rely on a series of filters, whole house, and five in a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. Most available in stores are made out of the country. We would still have water without them, just not great quality water (safe to drink,  just full of iron and minerals. Things like that, that people consider essential need to be planned for, before supply chains get tight.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs 

I’ve heard things are sold out but I haven’t been to a store to see for myself. I am not out of anything and see no reason to buy things I don’t need. I think most of it is unnecessary but people seem to enjoy panicking.

Honored Contributor

The only stupid people are the ones who won't drink Corona beer, this is the stuff that makes me crazy.  

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

went to walmart this morning, sold totally out of hand

sanitizer, almost sold out of hand wipes and rubbing

alcohol, any type of mask, peanut butter

they had plenty of soap, toilet paper,  clorox wipes and

water

there should be limits to how much people can buy but

doubt it

i felt weird buying t paper but it was needed lol!!!

Yesterday I posted the same thing. I felt weird buying  the TP that I really needed. However, I would have been really steamed if the hoarders cleaned out the supply.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

If you stop freaking out there would not be any shortages... OMG... Get a grip...I work in a school and all hand sanitizers on our websites are sold out - some I can't get until June... Some reviews I have read that some people are not going out at all - food shopping, any type of store and staying closed up in their homes... You are the people causing a panic.... I don't want to get sick either but I am not going to stop my life and not take precausions....I am in a public area all day long - just be aware....

Who's freaking out?

Sounds like you are with this post.

I certainly don't fall into the 'You are the people causing a panic'. 

My house is always well stocked with the supplies we need, a year's worth for most things, bought one or two at a time, on sale, when there isn't any kind of an 'event' going on. 

I'd watch condemning others. You don't know their situations. I, for instance have an elderly mother with a heart issue and a couple other medical things going on. I worry for her health and safety when something like this comes up, as it seems that the elderly with underlying issues are particularly susceptible to this particular virus. 

There are many people with compromised immune issues that will choose to exercise an over abundance of caution, and to judge that is irresponsible. In reality we are all responsible for making decisions about our health, and people choosing to stay out of the public right now are exercising their judgement to do as they see fit, just like you are doing. I don't see where chastising people for their choice to stay out of public places right now is of any positive contribution to the events at hand. 

Many large events are being scaled back or cancelled across the country. Billions of dollars are being lost. Those making those choices must see some validity in doing so, something is making them make those hard decisions, and I don't think it revolves around just panic.

Honored Contributor

For those of you scolding for not always having a healthy emergency supply on hand, I know many seniors on fixed incomes and working poor who simply do not have the funds to do so.

My only personal concern is a couple of prescription meds.
Esteemed Contributor

I would also add that not everyone has the space to store one year's worth of toilet paper and bottled water.  Especially in a small, one room apartment.  We will all do the best we can without the "I'm better than you" attitudes.

Honored Contributor

It was time for me to buy my regular order of a case of TP from Amazon and I felt guilty doing it. 😂
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This reminds me of the Y2K hysteria.  People hoarding water, food and duct tape.  

We've always had a flu that wasn't coveres by a vaccine. Thousands get the flu and thousands die from it. 

I'm sure people with compromised immune systems are being vigilant

My mom's neighbor has a bomb shelter attached to their house (built many years ago). 
panic takes many forms