Honored Contributor

Re: any shortages or sold out in your stores?

@Silver Lining wrote:

@CherryHugs 

Why peanut butter? I know it doesn't spoil quickly but how does it relate to sanitizer and hand wipes? I love crunchy peanut butter on slices of Granny Smith apples.

Its a high protien, no fridge necessary, easy stock up food for people in emergency situations. And the price in our area any way, has come back down to make it a cheap stock up food.

Regular Contributor

My son works for a grocery store in the DC region. On Sunday he said the store did 3 times the normal volume of sales. Customers were asking for gloves, distinfectant, and dry milk! I definately went on alert after hearing that.

I don't think I'm panicing, I'm just being practical. I think there could be supply chain issues. So many items come to us internationally. Even if a product is made in the USA, components may come from overseas. Also companies may tell workers to not come to work to minimize the spread of the virus. Production will slow down.

With all of that we only purchased one extra case of water and a pack of cold medicine (that we needed anyways to have on hand). 

Honored Contributor

Canned meats (chicken, tuna, sardines, salmon, etc.) and veggies are good non-punishable food items, too.  

Even Spam, which I've always liked.  Even though many/some don't.  But, 'in a pinch', it is something to think about.

We have lots of canned food items, and keep using/rotating them.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Everything I needed was at Aldi's today. Bleach and vinegar are my choices for cleaning the house. Alcohol wipes are how I quickly clean my hands.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Nope.  According to my neighbor, who did her monthly Walmart run Sunday, that craziness hasn't struck.  Not that store anyway.  We live in well educated, common sense State so I would be surprised if people were stocking up for Armageddon....LOL  We're not likely to see people walking around in Hazmat suits with rolls of toilet paper stuffed in the pants legs....LOL   

I really don't like the suggestion that people who stock up and prepare are lacking both education and common sense. 

Just the opposite is actually the truth. 

The issue is people who don't stay prepared for any kind of disruption (weather, personal loss of finances, general economic down turn, personal health issues, or pandemics) and then deplete the supplies when the perceive an issue.

There is a big difference between the two.

Honored Contributor

In Maryland. I was in a Walgreens this morning. No shortages (except maybe pharmacy employees). They had a big fully stocked display up front with Lysol, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, even in power outages.  

Most (probably all) of the electronic cash registers won't work during a power outage.........

I even carry items in my car!  Just in case.

EDITED:   Throughout the years, there have been several folks who were found stranded in ravines or wooded areas, some still alive because they had food or at least water in their cars. 

Usually senior folks who weren't able to climb up and out of their cars. 

But, at least, most were found and rescued.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I haven't been to the store since the coronovirus hit.  I live in Washington State but I need groceries so heading to grocery store and Costco tomorrow.  Hopefully they will be restocked on some items.  

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

went to walmart this morning, sold totally out of hand

sanitizer, almost sold out of hand wipes and rubbing

alcohol, any type of mask, peanut butter

they had plenty of soap, toilet paper,  clorox wipes and

water

there should be limits to how much people can buy but

doubt it

i felt weird buying t paper but it was needed lol!!!

I joined BJs Warehouse Club about a year ago - bc tires for my car were on sale and much cheaper.  Never thought I'd go there much but sometimes I pass it and get the MEGA bundles of TP and paper towels. 

Two weeks ago I bought food, TP and paper towels there.  I'd unloaded the food but got distracted by a phonecall and yesterday I put up the tailgate on my SUV and realized I'd never unloaded TP/paper towels so good on that front. 

Probably one of the first times my forgetfulness or being distracted has worked in my favor! 

Super Contributor

If you stop freaking out there would not be any shortages... OMG... Get a grip...I work in a school and all hand sanitizers on our websites are sold out - some I can't get until June... Some reviews I have read that some people are not going out at all - food shopping, any type of store and staying closed up in their homes... You are the people causing a panic.... I don't want to get sick either but I am not going to stop my life and not take precausions....I am in a public area all day long - just be aware....