Esteemed Contributor

another tipping thread...salons

[ Edited ]

You're in for a perm.  When it's time for the rods to come out, your stylist asks another stylist to remove them because she (yours) is working on another client.  When you pay, do you tip only your stylist, or do you also tip the stylist who removed the rods?

eta...And your stylist owns the salon.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: another tipping thread...salons

[ Edited ]

It’s happened to me & I only tipped my stylist. He owned the salon too.If he asked  someone to help him out it’s not my concern. It would be up to him if he wants to share his tip. 

I pay enough for the service & the regular tips to the shampoo girl & the stylist.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQWould you do the same if it was the shampoo girl who removed the rods?  Would you sort of split the tip (not evenly, of course), giving the shampoo girl more than you would if she hadn't helped?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda  It depends.If it’s the shampoo girls job to remove the rods then yes I’d tip her extra.If it wasn’t her job & she was asked to help out I wouldn’t.I’d leave it up to the stylist to share his tip with her.

Honored Contributor

I don't get perms, but I've seen the hairstylist I go to ask others to take foils out, etc. I tip whoever shampoos my hair one or two dollars and the rest goes to my stylist, who by the way also owns the salon. I've been going there since we've lived here. DD started working there part time in high school, and continued through college breaks. She still helps out on Saturdays a few times a month. She loves everyone there.

The prices have gone up and up. I asked the regular receptionist a long time ago what to do about tipping, because they were going so high. She said most people are tipping what they usually do. I know from DD that some of his clients don't tip at all because he is the owner - but he always has accepted tips. On days I get the "works" ( cut, color, highlights) I tip $20. In between, for just a cut I tip $10. I'm comfortable with that.

My mom's longtime stylist owned the salon. She would not accept tips, so Mom always gave her money to buy her two children Happy Meals. She did accept that!

When I lived in another state, I went to a small salon who built the tips into the cost and said so on their price list. I liked that. There was no awkwardness and wondering how much to leave. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I would tip my stylist and let her work it out. It’s not uncommon for the stylists at the salon where I go to tag team a little.
Honored Contributor

@esmereldatip your stylist and don't worry about the other one.  Sometimes they do favors back and forth for each other.  You never know, the day before your appointment your stylist might have been the one doing something for the other girl.  

Honored Contributor

I let them figure it out.  Only one tip.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't tip.  But then I've never been to a salon where there is a shampoo girl either.

It has been probably 20 years since any stylist I've had has asked someone else to help her with anything.  

Where I go now, there are 3 women and they all equally own the salon.  And they are all always busy when I'm there.  They seem to have scheduling down pat so when they are done applying color/highlights to one client, they move her out of the chair and start another.    

Honored Contributor

Same for me, no one but my stylist since 1996 has touched my hair for cut, color, or shampoo.  Before that her station was next to the woman I used until she herself retired so there is a lot of history.  One person, one payment, one tip. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."