Respected Contributor

i was reading the earlier post about publix, and several posters mentioned tomatoes; specifically that you can't get good ones here in florida compared to what you can get in ny or nj.

i live in the tampa bay area, and for many years we have had u-pick tomato fields near by to where i live.  i would go with a bucket twice a year and load up on those babies.  i swear, they were as good as NY tomatoes!!!

the fields have just about all closed down.   i think there is one left that i will give a try in may when we have our next season.

my question (for those of you in florida) is can you recommend a tomato available in grocery stores that is half-way decent? 

thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: and speaking about tomatoes

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i was reading the earlier post about publix, and several posters mentioned tomatoes; specifically that you can't get good ones here in florida compared to what you can get in ny or nj.

i live in the tampa bay area, and for many years we have had u-pick tomato fields near by to where i live.  i would go with a bucket twice a year and load up on those babies.  i swear, they were as good as NY tomatoes!!!

the fields have just about all closed down.   i think there is one left that i will give a try in may when we have our next season.

my question (for those of you in florida) is can you recommend a tomato available in grocery stores that is half-way decent? 

thanks! 

@fancy pantsy . Campari. Come from Canada. Medium size in a clamshell box, but I find they have flavor.

Honored Contributor

Heriloom tomatotes have a lot of flavor.

Honored Contributor

For cooking, can’t beat Pomi. 

(they have an organic line, as well)

4E6E9D22-2417-4B2C-8E84-79FEBE99A74C.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@fancy pantsy wrote:

thanks! 

@fancy pantsy . Campari. Come from Canada. Medium size in a clamshell box, but I find they have flavor.

thank you @proudlyfromNJ ! i will try campari! 

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Heriloom tomatotes have a lot of flavor.

thank you @Bri369 , i will try them! 

Honored Contributor

campari on the vines. i usually get them from sams club, but they are also available in grocery stores. i buy them year round, even during "tomato season."

campari-tomatoes.jpg

i also love cherubs and buy them year round. they are perfect for salads and for dips.

cherubs.png

i also buy the cherry tomatoes on the vine called flavor bombs. also excellent for salads and just for snacking. slightly firm, with a bite, and full of flavor.

cherry tomato on vine.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the Campari tomatoes are delicious!  I love them.  I buy them in the winter when it's hard to get a decent tomato, but I buy them during tomato season as well.  

Honored Contributor

Another vote for Compari.  I buy them at Publix, at Costco, and I eat them the way we used to years ago in our Pennsylvania garden years.  Wash, sprinkle lightly with salt, and enjoy.  I slice them for sandwiches, put them in recipes, and if I'm sensing my supply could get old before I use it, I make my own stewed tomatoes.  .  

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  - I agree about the Campari.  We bought them a few weeks ago and they were the best I've had in a long time.