Respected Contributor

Re: ...and now for some bucks

@MamaWick wrote:
Yes, they leave a mess but the yard is small. DH and I have a great system to clean it up a couple of times a week.

Many of our neighbors also feed them. When the houses sell behind us, they can put up privacy fences if they want.

Our small yard is sprayed every 2 months for flea/tick among other things like scorpions and spiders.

i hope you don't misunderstand me....i have always lived in areas with large deer populations, and I think they are beautiful.  But I definitely just want to see them in a field or the edge of a woods.  Deer/car accidents are awful...happened to my daughter.  Can't have flower beds or gardens if they frequent your yard...they eat everything.

Glad you are spraying regularly for ticks, since you have a dog.  

My concern with feeding them is it will encourage them to stay....and possibly attract wolves or coyotes.  Hope that doesn't happen.

I wish you good luck and no issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee  No worries.  I have explained many times.  In the lake area where we live, they cannot be hunted as no one has 10.1 contiguous acres.  Because of all the development, a lot of their feeding grounds are gone.  Haven't seen or heard of wolves/coyotes...but of course are always on alert.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Sorry, I see deer and I see Lyme disease.

@kaydee50    Lyme disease is not prevalent in many parts of the country.  I've never heard of a case in Texas or the Southwest.

My objection to feeding the deer is that, being unafraid of people, they become sitting ducks when hunting season begins.  Can you just imagine them trustingly approaching an armed hunter looking for a handout?  Not fair to the deer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick & @Kachina624   I understand both ideas.  But if people would stop building in the areas where the deer are populated then the deer would have food and wouldn't need to wander into our yards.  But, also if they get too comfortable with humans they could be killed.  I personally love them and would enjoy them everyday in my backyard as long as it's the same environment as @MamaWick.  At least there is someone who cares about them and takes care to see they are fed.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

Hello, Guys!

Thank you Mama!  So beautiful 😍.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle   That would be nice but not going to happen.  Buildings are going to continue to be built.  That's why our Federal Lands are so important, they are protected and so are the animals that live there, in most instances.

My sister lives very near Valley Forge National Park.  They had a huge deer problem.  A state highway runs through it and there were so many herds of deer, it wasn't safe to drive through the area at certain times of day.  I never saw so many deer in one place.  They were out of control so several years ago on one weekend, they brought in sharpshooters and killed dozens, if not hundreds, of them.  Now you rarely see a deer in the park.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Insurance sure hates them. LOL  

We've hit couple they come flying out across the road.

Regular Contributor

MamaWick, thank you so very much for loving and caring for these beautiful animals.

I enjoy, like many others, seeing your posts and pictures each day.

I know some evening soon you must take a break and we will understand.

Just post previous pictures and we will be happy. 

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   Ah it's almost 2 am, and I couldn't go to sleep without checking for deer posts.  Bless you and everyone in the Wick household for taking care of these beautiful animals.  Of course, I knew that you would be feeding them premium food.  Sending gentle head scrtiches and hugs to Cricket. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick .......................Dont let the negative posts on here discourage you.  Most of us love to see your pictures and hear about the beautiful deer.

There is always the negative posters and delight in spoiling everything and just have to post negativity.  I wish they would just scroll on by and shut up.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)