Super Contributor

advice on cat grooming please

My Maine Coon tends to get matted hair under her front legs. If I am diligent daily with combing I can keep the issue from getting too bad. But I am wondering what the best tools are besides just trying to comb out the matts or cut them out with scissors. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: advice on cat grooming please

Do you clip her nails, and if so, how? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Right now I have my vet trim her nails. They are just around the corner so it's an easy visit for me to make. My vet doesn't do grooming though.

Honored Contributor

You need to get the loose hair and undercoat out, a shedding blade works very well for that as do slicker brushes.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Does she tolerate the brushing enough that you could brush or comb her more often to keep the mats from forming? I know some kitties only tolerate so much.

Super Contributor

I used to Furminate my Maine Coon. He previously got matted bits that had to be cut with scissors, but then the Furminator got rid of the loose hairs that were becoming tangled.

My current kitty is not a purebred, she's just a regular medium hair, and although she does shed, the Furminator doesn't do anything for her. It's better to just use a regular pet brush on her.

Super Contributor

Do you have a Furminator? I'd suggest that you use a Furminator in the areas of the cat where his fur gets matted. The Furminator takes out quite a bit of the undercoat that has the tendency to mat.

There are more brands available that are less expensive. Just look for the blade that is pictured on the Furminator (Google image of Furminator.)

(Do not use the Furminator on the belly of the cat as it can damage the cats n-ipples.)

Honored Contributor

My cats hates the furminator, even my dog doesn't like it. I don't think it works any better than the shedding blade or slicker brush. Personally I think it's over priced, but at least I bought mine on sale.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval