Valued Contributor
I just received a JURY SUMMONS!! I served about 3 years ago. I never sat on a jury, only stayed there all day----boring....
Esteemed Contributor

I just got one, too. Returned it saying that I couldn't possibly sit that long. Got excused. I actually have sat on two juries and enjoyed the experience. I'm almost 70 and with arthritis sitting is horrible. I stand to do most things at home.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I used to get them every couple of years...haven't recently...knock wood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Valued Contributor

I keep getting these. My family members don't. They vote, own houses, and cars. I'm patriotic and want to do my civic duty but--- enough is enough. If you have a good excuse, they simply schedule a month later. aaaacckkk

Honored Contributor

I'm 59 and I've only ever been called once. I'm hoping that holds.

The weird thing was that it was for an arson case and my husband was an active firefighter in the same jurisdiction at the time. I thought I'd be rejected because of that, but no..... they took me. They liked my answer to the "can you be objective since your husband is a firefighter" question they asked me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My two years is up and I'm stressing it! I could not manage all that chair-sitting either but I don't have medical care so without a doctor's excuse, I'm skrewed. Plus, lots of difficulties right now. THIS, I don't need. Nothing wrong with jury duty but why could they not have summoned me a zillion times over my first 45-50 years when I was doing ok? /rant Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

for me, they must have noticed how well i just sit there {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor

I don't understand why people don't like getting jury summons. I mean, people pitch and belly-ache about how jurors got it wrong on a case, yet when they have a chance to serve, and therefore get it "right", they don't.

Interesting. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor
On 1/6/2015 Plaid Pants said:

I don't understand why people don't like getting jury summons. I mean, people pitch and belly-ache about how jurors got it wrong on a case, yet when they have a chance to serve, and therefore get it "right", they don't.

Interesting. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

I agree, Plaid Pants. I've only been called twice and both times they chose the jury before they made it to me, but I was glad to go and would be happy to go again. I try to think how I'd feel if I were being judged by a jury, and how I wish/hope they would feel about being a part of the process. One of my sisters was on a jury in a murder trial, the defendant was a battered wife, and I suppose what I learned from her after it was all over made a big impact. It might be a chore, but it's such an important part of the American justice system.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
I used to get called every year. It got so I hated it. It doesn't matter if you have a job interview or plane tickets to see your ailing mother, your life isn't yours.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices