Respected Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Stock In Facebook

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

I am literally laughing aloud at the commenters that think a donation of 45 BILLION should have been made silently and unpublicized....  The message alone, the feeling of hope that this presents to people required the donation to be made publicly.  

So to make sure that I understand this logic, we should only really about the massacres and bombings of the world, but when someone decides to donate a significant amount of wealth to humankind, we should not know about it?  It should be kept a secret?  

I know - I've seen people complain (some who are complaining about this very topic, in fact) about how they never hear any good news.

well, here is some good news.  And Zuckerberg's personal stock went up in my eyes.   I don't think he was bragging or showing off - perhaps he wanted to LEAD BY EXAMPLE

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack

LOL!  Great word - bloviating.  Thanks for the chuckles.

I still don't understand the basis for some suspicions expressed by some posters.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Wow, i was just asking , why he did not do it quitely!!!!!!!!!!!

Giving away 45 billion is not something you can do without notice,

It's such a good thing to do, I have to wonder why people only find fault with it.  Why always pick at the good guys?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Actually he is NOT giving away 99 percent of his wealth.  He is keeping the US Govt./tax payers from getting a big share of it.  SO, in a way, he is giving away a lot of your and my money as well.  So you can boast about that! You earned it!

Right, he is giving away 99% of his stock, and one particular group is livid about his philanthropy. 

Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

@MaggieMack

LOL!  Great word - bloviating.  Thanks for the chuckles.

I still don't understand the basis for some suspicions expressed by some posters.

And they aren't saying.  Some hate philanthropy, evidently.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Don't apologize, you aren't the only one.

Why should he?  He is the young Facebook generation, they do everything out in the open.

What he has done and Bill Gates has done has inspired others to do the same. That's a good thing.

The real question is why do some people get angry about helping others.

Honored Contributor

It would be nice if some people turned off their news channel and asked themselves why anyone in their right mind would be angry, livid actually, at this man's great gift to children of the world.

Something to ponder.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why should he?  He is the young Facebook generation, they do everything out in the open.

What he has done and Bill Gates has done has inspired others to do the same. That's a good thing.

I see no one getting angry about helping people, just a simple question about why he did not do it quietly.  If as you say it was to inspire others, then there is the answer.  No need to chastise those who ask questions.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I see no one getting angry about helping people, just a simple question about why he did not do it quietly.  If as you say it was to inspire others, then there is the answer.  No need to chastise those who ask questions.

Then you should be satisfied now, I answered your question.

Now you can move on to feeling joyful about his wonderful gift and how it will help children everywhere.

God Bless this wonderful, very young man, and his brilliant caring wife.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Actually he is NOT giving away 99 percent of his wealth.  He is keeping the US Govt./tax payers from getting a big share of it.  SO, in a way, he is giving away a lot of your and my money as well.  So you can boast about that! You earned it!

Right, he is giving away 99% of his stock, and one particular group is livid about his philanthropy. 

I don't think anyone here is livid.  I think some don't agree that he is the "saint" some are making him out to be, and are expressing that opinion.  He will still be incredibly wealthy after the fact; some people give when it really hurts--he is not the only human giving.  Also, I feel the same way about big companies who brag about their contributions when actually the money came out of your and my pockets.  They should say their customers are giving--it is coming from profits.

A lot of "giving" in this country is a racket.  Some of the biggest medical (and respected ones) constantly hound my mother for money through the mail.  They "offer" newsletters and programs and such for very high costs.  I am simply stunned at how much of this she receives.

I believe 100 percent in giving and do donate a lot.  But on the flip side it is a racket too and a lot of executives are making huge salaries off of "charity."  I really think it is time people are more aware of what is going on and the scams that ABOUND in the name of giving.

So to make a saint of someone who announced their contributions to the world BEFORE the fact, nah, I have a wait and see attitude.  Sorry but that's the way I feel at this point in time.  I also know someone who worked for a large charity and some of his stories made me more suspicious of some of this "giving" empire.

Don't get me started on what so many people benefit and travel and live off their "foundations."  I think a lot of us have the wool pulled over our eye big time.