Honored Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Stock In Facebook

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

I am literally laughing aloud at the commenters that think a donation of 45 BILLION should have been made silently and unpublicized....  The message alone, the feeling of hope that this presents to people required the donation to be made publicly.  

So to make sure that I understand this logic, we should only really about the massacres and bombings of the world, but when someone decides to donate a significant amount of wealth to humankind, we should not know about it?  It should be kept a secret?  

Sing "Hallelujah" like the song says!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Posters here post all.the.time about their own good deeds - donating to charities, or food banks, or christmas boxes, you name it, but this is wrong?

But there is anonymity in the nic, I don't know who anyone is here. So any bloviating is essentially meaningless.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

better that zuckerberg announce it than the press get hold of it, which they will and do the announcing for him.  it  could  potentially embarass him and there is nothing to be ashamed about.  look at gates.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Posters here post all.the.time about their own good deeds - donating to charities, or food banks, or christmas boxes, you name it, but this is wrong?

Good point and absolutely true.

Whether announced or not, this is a massive sum of money earmarked to do good things with. Who in their right mind could fine fault with that?

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Some of us don't.  Nobody is saying what he is doing is 'wrong' but we aren't the only ones that are speculating on his motives.  No biggie.........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

For those who don't know, Zuckerberg gave $100 million to NJ schools to fix them.  The Gov, was one in charge and misused the money, which was also controlled by NJ law.

Evidently, some are going all out to vilify Zuckerberg for his latest altruism.  Apparently they feel threatened by the good works of others.

Actually it was the Newark school system and no one knows where all that money went.  They spent millions on $1,000 a day consultants...

It's just my opinion but a true altruist doesn't go boasting about their intended good deeds.

I doubt you can be a truer altruist than someone giving away 99% of their wealth.

I am glad he publicized this - it's done as an incentive to spur on other billionaires to do the same.

I prefer his type of charitable giving - supporting research and education - over the guys who use their wealth to try to influence legislation to benefit their business interests.

Actually he is NOT giving away 99 percent of his wealth.  He is keeping the US Govt./tax payers from getting a big share of it.  SO, in a way, he is giving away a lot of your and my money as well.  So you can boast about that! You earned it!

Honored Contributor

Wow, i was just asking , why he did not do it quitely!!!!!!!!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Wow, i was just asking , why he did not do it quitely!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't apologize, you aren't the only one.

Respected Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Facebook Stock

Good for him! I am always happy to see very weathly people realize that there is more in this life than money.   There is only so much you can do with it personally.

It is wonderful - I noticed that with Bill Gates as well - once he was married and started having children, his compassion and generousity really shone thru.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

“From those to whom much is given, much is expected"

that quote is amazing @MaggieMack  JFK also said it & it comes from Luke 12:48   this is how I was raised. 

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames