Honored Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Stock In Facebook

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Question,why announce it? He could had done this quitely, and not released the letter,kept it private?

Why NOT announce it?

He did this on Giving Tuesday - a day designed to spur charitable giving - by everyone.

I can't think of one instance where major gifts weren't announced. Some people even insist that their family names be added to hospitals/museums/universities where they make major donations.

Before he passed away, the owner of the Buffalo Bills set up the Wilson Foundation. The goal of the foundation is to give away every penny his estate received when the Bills were sold after his death -over one BILLION dollars. His will stipulated that all the money be given away in ten years. So what if his estate didn't have to pay taxes on the money? That's the whole reason why we have tax deductions for charitable gifts - to encourage donations to non-profit groups.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Not a Facebook fan here. I guess what blows me away is not his act of generosity, but the fact that 99% of FB stock is worth that much.  Around here FB is mostly for grandmas and schools.  The young people around here are into Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

Also, not a fan of the name Max for girls, but I guess it works for them and that's all that matters.

Basically stock is worth what people are willing to pay for it.  While this gift appears to be very generous today, by the time it is made who knows the value.  There could be the next great thing, making FB obsolete, thus the stock totally worthless.  I turly hope that the donation can have a positive impact.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Question,why announce it? He could had done this quitely, and not released the letter,kept it private?

My guess is that it would be assumed he is this great benefactor.  Billionaires know how to donate privately I'm sure, lol.

Super Contributor

I am trying to figure out why his actions have apparently sparked anger/outrage in some?

Would you prefer he appear on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous flaunting his wealth or perhaps Shark Tank sitting beside Lori Grenier?Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

For those who don't know, Zuckerberg gave $100 million to NJ schools to fix them.  The Gov, was one in charge and misused the money, which was also controlled by NJ law.

Evidently, some are going all out to vilify Zuckerberg for his latest altruism.  Apparently they feel threatened by the good works of others.

Actually it was the Newark school system and no one knows where all that money went.  They spent millions on $1,000 a day consultants...

It's just my opinion but a true altruist doesn't go boasting about their intended good deeds.

EXACTLY!!!!

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why NOT announce it?

He did this on Giving Tuesday - a day designed to spur charitable giving - by everyone.

I can't think of one instance where major gifts weren't announced. Some people even insist that their family names be added to hospitals/museums/universities where they make major donations.

ITA!   Everyone wins.  

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why NOT announce it?

Think that is the point of not announcing them, no one knows about them.  They do not look for familty names added, publicity etc. just doing a good thing.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I am literally laughing aloud at the commenters that think a donation of 45 BILLION should have been made silently and unpublicized....  The message alone, the feeling of hope that this presents to people required the donation to be made publicly.  

So to make sure that I understand this logic, we should only really about the massacres and bombings of the world, but when someone decides to donate a significant amount of wealth to humankind, we should not know about it?  It should be kept a secret?  

Honored Contributor

Posters here post all.the.time about their own good deeds - donating to charities, or food banks, or christmas boxes, you name it, but this is wrong?

Esteemed Contributor

Personal choice, but if announced one has the right to question the motives.  As some have stated, family names on buildings or foundations, pubilicity for a business or company or just ti inspire others to make donations.  When they are announced, they have to hope to get something from it.