Esteemed Contributor

Just heard of the new national pastime: Zillow Surfing.  I'm guilty; check how much my home has gone up, at least a couple times a week!  We've lived in our home for 15 years and for 12 1/2 years we watched it decrease or stagnant, so this is a welcome change. ( Yes, I understand the downside of this but for now its amusing and evidently many people are doing the same).

Honored Contributor

@patbz I do it daily for where I live because I get a list of about 6 houses a day in my neck of the woods.  It is informative and keeps me up with the crazy house prices.  I get ideas, especiall for landscaping, see who's moving, etc.  I love it.  It replaces a little of the office "water cooler."

Honored Contributor

Nobody in their right mind would pay the "Zillow Price" for my house...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I do it now and then.  Very interesting!

Esteemed Contributor

After I made my post I looked up the home I owned 25 years ago. Not only had the price doubled but since its in the High Desert of CA the current owners had done extensive water saving landscaping outside, including artificial turf. It was very nice!

Contributor
Funny to read this post as I just got off ZIllow and then came here only to see this! Home prices in my area are jumping like crazy!
Esteemed Contributor
My sister, nephew and I, flip houses here in Georgia and Zillow is usually right on the mark.
Honored Contributor

Re: Zillow Surfing

[ Edited ]

I've done this for years. I keep tabs on my probable retirement town and it's been fun to watch the real estate market over the years and how that little town has grown. I'll be prepared when the day comes.

Occasionally, I pull up Manhattan and see how the 1% lives. Some of it is stunning and the rest is just really? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Zillow Surfing

[ Edited ]

Only more proof that a recession is coming, hold on folks this is not going to be fun.

Trusted Contributor

I look but  I am not looking to move or anything, I look at past houses I have lived in and my current house.  i look at houses around the neighborhood.  It is purely entertainment for me.