Respected Contributor

Re: Zika Researchers Looking For Volunteers To Be Infected

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I didn't read the entire article, but if they are paying the volunteers, then the perfect candidates are people in prison.   You can keep track of where they are, and even a small amount of money would mean something to many of them.

Just FYI, I don't think there is an IRB around that would approve the study with prisoners as subjects.  It would violate the code of ethics for research since it does not fall under the category of research that is confined to studies that examine prison conditions or practices that are specifically revelant to prisoners.   

Back on subject though, I wonder how many subjects they are looking to recruit?  I may have overlooked it, but usually these type of studies aren't seeking large numbers of subjects. 

If I lived closer to Baltimore, I might be interested.  I am sure the proposal covers quite a bit of health monitoring during the clinical trial.  One good way to get an excellent work up at no cost.  lol...

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

Scary. But we need the research.

Trusted Contributor

The symptoms are no worse than a slight case of the flu. My understanding is the real danger is for pregnant women. I live I Florida and I am not frightened by this virus but I probably don't know enough about it.