Valued Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on classroom "alternative seating"?

In our elementary school, preK-6, they have a "mix", for the lack of a better word. Some activities are structured with strict rules. Others are more laid back and relaxed. It even varies among different classrooms. The older kids leave homeroom for some subjects.

While it is important for kids to learn to conform to the rules in a strict and structured environment, it is equally important that they are able to adapt to different scenarios. At some point they must learn to police their own behavior. "Teacher" is not always going to be there to guide them through life.

The anytime snacking is school wide, mandated by the principal. Seating and classroom setup is up to the teachers.

They've only been doing it for the past 2 years. The staff noticed an improvement in attention and comprehension during the dreaded testing.

They feed the kids between sections of the tests. It ends up being every hour or so. This practice was implemented to see if the school's overall test scores could be improved upon.

The scores went up, because of or in spite of the snacks. Who knows, for sure? Anyway, they adopted it as everyday policy. 

The relaxed seating doesn't seem to have caused any problems, all classroom rules remain in effect and are strictly enforced. I have noticed that the kids don't seem so wiped out when they get  home. We also have less "IhaveastomachachesoIcan'tgotoschool" in the mornings.

Are these scientific conclusions? No. The anecdotal evidence, however has been strong enough for the school to keep these new policies in effect.

As for fighting over seating, surprisingly, it's not been an issue. They fight over a variety of things, as usual. Alternative seating hasn't made any real difference.

It may not be for every school in every location, but it works fine here. (very small school in a very rural area)

Respected Contributor

I'm thinking about doing a snack thing too this year.  A friend of mine has a rotation of parents who send afternoon snacks and it works out great.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I'm thinking about doing a snack thing too this year.  A friend of mine has a rotation of parents who send afternoon snacks and it works out great.  

I remember when I was in kindergarten, the mothers brought in ice cold apple quarters for snacks each day. They had even removed the cores. I always looked forward to that, and after the snack, I was energized to go back to classroom concerns.

Contributor

I have been teaching Middle School for 15 years & I completely agree with middle age students.  Bless thier hearts but they are more concerned with their friends & socialiing at that age.  Maybe older HS kids could do it but I would not recommend for Middle School kids Smiley Surprised)  XOXO

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

When my daughter #2 was in grade 3 or 4; her teacher started an afternoon snack time and eventually, the principal extended it to all the grades 1-5 kids.  Those kids had "lunch" at 11:00 and then nothing until school let out at 2:50.  That was a heck of a long time between meals.  Parents were encouraged to pack a protein snack and bottle of water for their kids.  The water and the protein boost broke that late afternoon slump that we all, even kids experience.  Grade 6-8 had their lunch at 12:15 so they were fine, they didn't need the boost but if my kids were going from school to dancing class or some sports....I had snacks for them in the car.  

Esteemed Contributor

There are principals in this area that will write a teacher up for serving snacks in the classroom.  Aside from questions related to allergies and nutritional value, the snacks (and garbage/crumbs) attract bugs and rodents.  They strictly enforce the "no eating/drinking in the classroom" rule.  One teacher took her students outside for a snack, and she got in trouble for waisting instructional time.  There may by different rules for elementary, but that's how many of the middle and high schools are around here.

Honored Contributor

Hi Mellie:  I think the idea is a good one-we know not all kids learn at the same level; auditory/visual e.g.

The only concern I have is if this classroom is the only one in the school; I'm thinking that it might take some time to get the kidlets used to this setting and once they move on to the next "standard sitting" classroom there might be an adjustment. 

For K-2 it's a viable option for seating provided the teacher has it all together using such a system.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

There are principals in this area that will write a teacher up for serving snacks in the classroom.  Aside from questions related to allergies and nutritional value, the snacks (and garbage/crumbs) attract bugs and rodents.  They strictly enforce the "no eating/drinking in the classroom" rule.  One teacher took her students outside for a snack, and she got in trouble for waisting instructional time.  There may by different rules for elementary, but that's how many of the middle and high schools are around here.

Jeez.  Is this principal 80 or something?

Respected Contributor

Our school system is transitioning to "personalized learning' over the next three years. This will be part of it, I am sure.  Can't say how I feel yet until I learn more about this change.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Jeez.  Is this principal 80 or something?

@Mellie32 No, there are several who feel this way.  Most are in 30s and oldest are 40s.