Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gift Cards?

FeeFreeVISA is my gift card of choice.

When I give a gift I very much want it to be something the person 

wants, that fits, is the right color, etc.  Many have told me that they enjoyed shopping for themselves.

As the lady said, “Cash works for me”

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I would rather get them a gift card so they can pick out their own item that they’ll love than buy them some bric a brac that they feign enthusiasm for and gets regifted.

I give them every year and I love getting them.

Honored Contributor

I currently have a box of items to be donated by my front door. Most of the items in the box are gifts from well meaning people.

I do not drink coffee or tea. So there are 4 beautiful mugs that I will never use are in the box. A set of earrings and matching necklace are also in the box. I have had trouble with one of my pierced closing up. So I only wear tiny gold earrings. And candles - I think there are about 6. My husband does not care for flames no matter how secure the holder. We had a fire once - that was enough to fear flames. And there have to be at least 6 perfumes. All top shelf name brand and not cheap. But I will never wear them. I have many perfumes that I really like but haven't worn in months. I don't need more.

That is why I am going with gift cards from now on.

Respected Contributor

I love gift cards--both to give and to receive

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo, it sounds like you are looking for validation for your opinion about gift cards. If you don't like to buy them or receive them, then fine. But, not everyone has the ability to buy a gift, wrap it and either take it to the post office for mailing or personally carry wrapped gifts for Christmas get-togethers (if there are any). I think it's sad that you feel that a person who would give you a gift card doesn't have the imagination to buy you a real gift. I think you'd be the type of friend who would get a lump of coal from me...or nothing at all! LOL!

Honored Contributor

I shop online. No pounding the pavement. DH hates giving gift cards because he thinks they are impersonal and show zero thought. He is right, but some of our older grandkids prefer them, so I get them a small gift and a gift card. I did stop getting them for one granddaughter though when I happened to see a drawer in her desk open and there must have been twenty or more unused gift cards. No more for her. I love getting gift cards if they have no expiration date. I was stuck with a $50 Steinmart gift card when they closed down and wouldn’t even take gift cards a couple of months prior to shutting their doors. I get GameStop or Amazon for the boys, and Sephora or Etsy for the girls.
Honored Contributor

I think you have to know the person well before giving a gift card. Some people are so particular about everything the only way to get them a gift they like is letting them choose it themself.
Esteemed Contributor

I love ‘em and I give them out as well 

Esteemed Contributor

No, @jannabelle1, I'm not looking for validation of my opinion.  I'm honestly curious how others feel about giving and receiving cards.  If the general opinion is that folks don't like to receive them, then I won't give cards as gifts anymore.  If people love them, then my opinion is wrong.  There are a couple people I always give gift cards to even though I really don't like to do it.  For myself, I'd rather receive some small little nothing gift than a gift card.  Or a lump of coal.  Or no gift at all.   OK, I'm in the minority.  I see by the responses here that most people like to receive them.  Nice to know.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I love them!  Love getting them and love giving them!  I know it's the thought that counts but it's so great to get a card and then you can get exactly what you want!  And others can, too!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin