Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gift Cards?

[ Edited ]

@happycat -- You make a good point.  I do not want someone to risk getting sick by going into a store to buy a Gift Card.  Because of the virus. I am not going inside stores or restaurants and I wouldn't want to have to spend a Gift Card right now.   We need to think about those receiving our Cards -- will they be able to go out and spend it?

@Cakers -- I'm an avid gardener.  Friends and family know they can give me a packet of seeds or a new trowel and I'd be thrilled!

@chrystaltree -- Yes! Yes!

Giving Gift Cards as an "add-on gift" is an excellent idea!  Thank you to whoever said that.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner -- I did say what I think.  Thanks for your comments.  We're all different and it's interesting to hear others' ideas on gift cards.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Sooner -- I did say what I think.  Thanks for your comments.  We're all different and it's interesting to hear others' ideas on gift cards.  

@tototwo And we are all different in how we have been given gifts as well.  I think that is important.  

Maybe we are the beneficiaries of good gift givers.  We by and large got things we liked and could use.  

And maybe some of us have had way too many things, even expensive things, that we had no use for or just didn't like need or want, but that someone wanted us to have, do, wear, or display.   Like clothes you would never wear or didn't fit and you can't take back.

Trusted Contributor

Gift cards are fine with me. A store specific one is no problem because I can always find something to buy. A major credit card brand one is fine too because I can use it anywhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@happycat -- You make a good point.  I do not want someone to risk getting sick by going into a store to buy a Gift Card.  Because of the virus. I am not going inside stores or restaurants and I wouldn't want to have to spend a Gift Card right now.   We need to think about those receiving our Cards -- will they be able to go out and spend it?

@Cakers -- I'm an avid gardener.  Friends and family know they can give me a packet of seeds or a new trowel and I'd be thrilled!

@chrystaltree -- Yes! Yes!

Giving Gift Cards as an "add-on gift" is an excellent idea!  Thank you to whoever said that.

@tototwo You are exactly right, and I hate to admit it, but I hadn't thought about that. I think I will mainly do Amazon gift cards, that will be a safer bet.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain 

Yes!  That's it exactly.  If someone gives me a $25 gift certicate to some store, if I want to use, I have to add my own money to it get something. How is that a gift?    People tend to give me gift cards to places where they shop, not where I shop.  I give the Anerican Express and MC gift cards to my sisters, the store cards go in my wallet and stay there.

Valued Contributor

Please be sure to send gift cards insured mail.  A friend sent them to her family last year and when they never arrived she was out the money and had to repurchase the cards.

Respected Contributor

I love them. I would rather have a gift card to a restaurant, grocery store, online retailer, or department store I know I go to than clothing that doesn't fit or isn't my style, a knicknack that only adds clutter to my small apartment, electronics I'll never use, etc. Some people say it's thoughtless, but to me it isn't because I know the person who gave it to me pays attention to my tastes. Same goes for me when I buy gift cards for others - I make sure it's to somewhere they will use.