Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gift Cards?

Always a first choice for giving for me, I rarely shop in stores anymore and these are so easy to get online.  And makes a great gift choice when you know the person is a fan of a certain store or restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I love gift cards.  

I give them occasionally.  My go to's are Nordstrom gift cards.  You can shop online, in the store.  They don't expire.  

I rarely give gift cards to restaurants unless I'm 100% sure it's somewhere the recipient loves.  

It's still a gift, and I think it's a thoughtful gift.  

I agree, I love gift cards.  I once gave my mail man a gift card for McDonalds.  He loved it. I have received star bucks gift cards and given them.  When I know someone loves something like star bucks I will get them a gift card from thereSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Be very careful.  Some gift cards decrease over time. 

Personally, I would prefer a visa gift card that doesn't lock me down to a certain store unless you know it's my favorite store.

Respected Contributor

Your thoughts on Gift Cards?

I buy personal gifts for family and friends. But, gift cards are perfect to give to your postal/UPS/FedEx delivery person, the receptionist at the front desk, the hair stylist/barber, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I have never given a gift card, I personally do not like them.  I prefer to shop for the person I am gifting.  I will confess that my granddaughter is getting money this year, we will UPS the  money order.  

Her parents overindulge her, and she tires of opening gifts!!!!

If we would shop for her, I am pretty certain she already has it or won't use it. I prefer not to waste my money.

Honored Contributor

@happycat    Kudos to you for gifting all 20 nieces and nephews!

Honored Contributor

Use to love them--but now--so many stores are going out of business---however---I would LOVE a huge gift card from Amazon----I do most my shopping there.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I always loved shopping this time of year looking for that perfect gift, the crowds, the music in the stores, all if it.  But this year I am not going to risk the lives of myself and others by going shopping in stores.  While I'm finding it difficult to shop online for gifts that is what I am doing.  And yes, for those I find hard to buy for without browsing I will be giving gift cards.  This year is just different.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I have some opinions about gift cards, but would love to hear yours.  Love them?  Don't love them?   Want to receive them, or not?  Give them?

@tototwo OK.  You asked.

First I think it is kind of tacky to not say what YOU think and ask people to commit what they think first.  Sort of seems like entrapment to me.

Secondly, I think there are two types of givers.  First is the giver who really wants to please the other person and get them what they want, even if the giver can't imagine why.

The giver is truly trying to make the giftee delighted!  They will ask the person what they want, they aren't out to surprise them.  

And get them "something they wouldn't get them selves" is simply beyond me.  That says they don't want one.  Now is it is something they "can't" bet themselves, that is different.  They want it but can't afford it, find it, etc.  That is a great gift!

Second:  The giver who wants to be special by the gift they give.  They want to look so smart, so extravagant, so special that the gift is then about them, to bring attention and glory to them selves and has little to do with what the giftee wants.   And that's bad.  That sometimes goes along with something "someone wouldn't get for themselves."

My honest answers, that's what I really think.  And for the most part, to me you can't go wrong with a gift card or cash.  And to me, it's the only way to fly unless you KNOW or ASK what someone wants or needs.

A "donation in your name?"  Says "you are spoiled rotten and have to much and I'm not going to spend my money on YOU!"  Again unless you KNOW and really have reason to think that.  And even then, get them a little something.  It is simply insulting not to. 

Esteemed Contributor

Generally not a big fan of gift cards for all the reasons previously mentioned. 

Last year DS and his fiancee were moving across the country, and he from Europe. They needed a LOT- setting up a new household. I looked up the area they were moving to and gave them a variety of GCs for Big Box stores in the area and for him : Amazon GC.

I always give my kids and their S.O.s gifts and the "big gift" is cash.

I would prefer to send an Amazon GC rather than spend postage sending a gift through the mail or UPS/ FedEx.

Sisters and I gift each other Marshalls/Home Goods GCs for our birthdays. We do not exchange for Christmas.

I don't love to receive a GC at Christmas. Not very personal. Do a little work to find out my preferred charities and donate to one instead of the GC for me.