Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Gift Cards?

@tototwo wrote:

Thank you, @Effie54 -- that's exactly how I feel about them!    When I receive a gift card (whether it's for a restaurant or retail store), I'm a little tiny bit insulted.   If a giver doesn't have the imagination or desire to buy a real gift, then don't buy me anything.  

Then again, I realize some people love to receive them.  

That is exactly how I feel.....like it was a bother to buy a gift, so the default gift card comes into play. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are difficult to shop for. I don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff that people won't use. I myself have gotten some expensive gifts that I will never use. I therefore am a big fan of gift cards tailored to what a particular persons tastes  are.I think that is considerate & thoughtful.

I have one friend who loves Macy's.She won't shop anywhere else. She loves the Macy's gift card that I give her. Other friends have several restaurants they love. Now with Covid they've been ordering in from these establishments.I know that they will appreciate gift cards from these places.

Esteemed Contributor

I would rather have a gift card to a store I shop so I can get something on sale after Christmas. I have no need for sweaters or jackets (to hot where I live) dust collectors etc. nothing worse than getting a gift and having to pretend you like it only for it to end up in the donate pile. I also wouldn't mind if someone gave me cat food or cat toys. 

Valued Contributor

For the most part I do not like them.  If I don't know what to get someone I would rather write them a personal not and enclose a check so they can choose what they would lke.  Last Christmas I received two gift certifciates and they expired before I was able to use them as they were good for 90 days. In the Christmas aftermath and some unexpected travel due to a death of a friend they expired.  Gift cards, especially after this COVID crisis, there is no guarantee a business (especially small ones) will still be there.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Thank you, @Effie54 -- that's exactly how I feel about them!    When I receive a gift card (whether it's for a restaurant or retail store), I'm a little tiny bit insulted.   If a giver doesn't have the imagination or desire to buy a real gift, then don't buy me anything.  

Then again, I realize some people love to receive them.  

I'd hate to think someone risked getting sick by going into a store to buy me something because they thought I would be insulted with a gift card. Let alone they actually get sick. 

It's still a gift. 

Honored Contributor

If we give any this year it will be Amazon or fee free Visa that we can buy at our bank.

Too many big stores in trouble.

Trusted Contributor

The Older I get the more I give them and would prefer to receive them.  I don't need "Stuff".  I don't think others need "Stuff" either.  I have trimmed my gift giving way down over the years and give to very few people and the ones I do give too are older.  I might give one small gift and then gift cards and let them get something they want or need.

I will don't gift shop in brick and mortar stores and haven't in years.  

If people don't like it, I am sorry, it is not that I don't want to put any thought behind a gift, the exact opposite, I would rather they get something they really want.

I am all about them.

Esteemed Contributor

I see no problem with gift cards at all.  There is still thoughtfulness as it is still a "gift".

My adult kids would rather have gift cards so they can buy something they need rather than something I may have thought they would like or use but in reality would not......

I have always tried to gift useful things to people, one year I bought new tires for my sister as she wasn't able to afford them.  I do however, always buy the cards from places I know will still most likely be around after all this, ie....Amazon.   In all the years I have only been burned once with a gift card for a restaurant that went under.

Honored Contributor

I love gift cards.  

I give them occasionally.  My go to's are Nordstrom gift cards.  You can shop online, in the store.  They don't expire.  

I rarely give gift cards to restaurants unless I'm 100% sure it's somewhere the recipient loves.  

It's still a gift, and I think it's a thoughtful gift.  

Respected Contributor

Generally speaking, gift cards aren't my first gift of choice, but they do come in handy. Since we'll be mailing our Christmas gifts this year, I'm planning to send gift cards unless the recipient is a young child or someone who's given me some idea of what they'd like. This will help cut down on our shipping costs.  I'm hard to shop for and appreciate receiving gift cards to stores/websites that I like. I'd prefer that the gift giver spend their money (regardless of the amount) on a gift card that I can put towards something I want rather than to spend it on something I won't use. When ToysRUs was still in business, I used to like to give Geoffrey Dollars (their gift certificates) to our nieces and nephews who were 5 years old or older because they liked shopping for their own gifts. If I'm giving a gift card to someone who lives nearby, I put it in one of those cute holders so it looks more festive than a card.