Honored Contributor

Re: Your return may end up in landfill

@Shorty2U wrote:

That's sad. I wont be responsible. Ive never returned any gift in my entire life. Love all my gifts! lol. Plus we recycle everything here.. Save Mother Earth, recycle! 

I don't return gifts either, actually I don't return much at all.  I re-gift or I give things away or I donate items.  

Respected Contributor

I don’t return gifts either. And I have become a more thoughtful shopper so I don’t waste my money on impulse purchases or sale items just because something is on sale. If it didn’t appeal to me at full price, a sale tag doesn’t improve the fit or design. 

Honored Contributor

My mom worked in a discount store (Woolco) for a short time one of the many items sold was paperback and hard cover books, periodically they would purge the books, tear off the cover and throw some of the books away....My mom asked why coulndnt the employees be offered the books rather than just trash them  or donate them to a library or other organization, and they said no because they couldnt write it off....SO SAD!!!...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

My mom worked in a discount store (Woolco) for a short time one of the many items sold was paperback and hard cover books, periodically they would purge the books, tear off the cover and throw some of the books away....My mom asked why coulndnt the employees be offered the books rather than just trash them  or donate them to a library or other organization, and they said no because they couldnt write it off....SO SAD!!!...

When stores tear the covers off unsold books and return the covers to the publishers the publishers reimburse the stores for what they paid for the unsold books. Returning only the covers is cheaper than shipping back the whole book.

Honored Contributor

Maybe at this point in earths history it doesn't matter, Stephen Hawking is predicting the world will end in 100 years anyway. He is saying we need to find another planet to live on.

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

When stores tear the covers off unsold books and return the covers to the publishers the publishers reimburse the stores for what they paid for the unsold books. Returning only the covers is cheaper than shipping back the whole book.

@AuntMame

My point is the book is wasted and someone might have enjoyed reading it even without a cover.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I think by law, bookstores cannot donate unsold books.

Businesses MUST abide by, and follow all rules, laws and regulations when it comes to unsold products, and sometimes it is cheaper to toss, than it is to send back to the manufacturer for repackaging.

Businesses are not at liberty to do the "feel good" thing.

That's just the way it is, and if anybody here were to run a business, they would find out the same.

A business hands are tied as to what they can and cannot do with unsold items, like it or not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

there are some GREAT ways to use used books......even if you are not going to read them. i have seen people make some very pretty tables out of them. i am sure others have even more unique ideas on how to use and not waste.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/25/30/09/25300923e58a9a29eb858c141ff5b421--stacked-books-book-table.jpg

Image result for table made from used books

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein