Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

@Mindy D This is not a close call.  Return the item and buy something else. I would not want to keep it, and don't know why it is recommended that you keep it. I would not want to deal with a company that shipped me a product with poor craftsmanship. The seller should cover the return cost.  Why buy a fancy defective gift?  It would never hang from my tree.  It would annoy me to look at it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

@Mindy D  I guess I am in the minority here but it looks like a lovely ornament.  I would not bother with the hassle of returning it.  Though I am not for being unhappy with a purchase but sometimes I find the returns more of a headache.  What I would do is find a place that does engraving/crafts or even someone you know who can paint intricately and see if the B can be corrected?    It's a possibility, then you can keep the ornament for the gift.

I would however make my disappointment known to the company and tell them you won't be ordering again.  Maybe you can get a partial refund at least.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

My niece gave birth to her first baby in October. I was so happy for her and her long time bf (20 yrs). They are over the moon happy because they have always wanted a child and they never expected this to happen. My niece has been through he.l being pregnant during this pandemic.

I wanted to give them an unexpected surprise. A keepsake ornament for baby's first Christmas. I didn't want it to be a cheap looking thing. I wanted to send something they could cherish and bring out every Christmas.

I turned to Lenox. A month before the birth I had ordered a set of Lenox stainless steel flatware here on Q and the quality is terrific. This helped me decide to go to Lenox.

I read some of their spiel on their website about how they are the oldest American China company and they have made the Whitehouse China for years. I read about their factory, here in the U.S. and about their attention to detail with the hand painting of details before glazing. What I didn't know was that this was written in 2019 and that soon afterwards the company closed their US factory due to bankruptcy and they are now producing in another country. 

OK, so I go to look at their keepsake ornaments and choose a personalized fine china rocking horse ornament and paid extra for the baby's name and birthday to be hand painted on the ornament. I expected high quality. The price came to $58. It was taking so long to be shipped that I emailed the company and they tracked the ornament and that it would soon arrive at my niece's home. 

After a month it arrived. It's DEFECTIVE. The B in baby is not painted on correctly. The gold paint is half off.  I can barely read the baby's name, Hunter, on it.

FEBCBDCB-B071-41E2-A642-6C796C93160D.jpegIt should have never left the factory. Had it been painted here, by the workers that worked in their factory for years and years, it would never have shipped out. The workers took pride in their work and in Lennox's reputation. I also feel that the ornament is underwhelming compared to the photo of it on Lenox's site. 
It's a disappointment. 

Now I don't know what to do because the ornament can be returned, I think,  but I don't think it could make it back here in time for Christmas. What would you do? AA64A2C2-122E-4DE1-B20C-96777BB8CF0E.jpeg

I CANNOT IMAGINE that this would be sent out, but it would be LOVELY if done correctly. I'd try a call to the company AND an email to customer service. I've had VERY GOOD LUCK with this company in the past.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@kivah wrote:

Many of these old company names - have been sold to companies who manufacture "cheap" products. Definitely "Return to Sender."

I have a KitchenAid toaster -- obviously, not made by KitchenAid. There are 2 slots for bread - each slot toast differently ---- and, using each slot ---- both sides toast differently. I read that many companies sell their names to other companies ---- and the quality is much lower.

@kivah 

They are selling out to China and the quality is not the same.  writing and printing are not even like ours, nor quality. This is just crushing. What a beautiful little ornament for the baby and it had to be defective. I know you are just heartsick. You did a wonderful thing. The moneygrubbers do cheap work and call it classy. I saw the documentary on what Amazon does with all the returns.  Speaking of polluting the environment and our country! Worse than anything I could imagine.  This item will likely end up in just such a place rather than trying to correct it. Although it did not come from Amazon, I am aware, but it will go in a scrap pile of unwanted. But as long as Wall Street loves it and the American consumer demands it, we will tolerate this lack of quality and polluion.  Now, how long before this is deleted by TPTB.

@Nonametoday   Have to ask, what is Amazon doing with it's returns?  Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D

Yes. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@kivah wrote:

Many of these old company names - have been sold to companies who manufacture "cheap" products. Definitely "Return to Sender."

I have a KitchenAid toaster -- obviously, not made by KitchenAid. There are 2 slots for bread - each slot toast differently ---- and, using each slot ---- both sides toast differently. I read that many companies sell their names to other companies ---- and the quality is much lower.

@kivah 

They are selling out to China and the quality is not the same.  writing and printing are not even like ours, nor quality. This is just crushing. What a beautiful little ornament for the baby and it had to be defective. I know you are just heartsick. You did a wonderful thing. The moneygrubbers do cheap work and call it classy. I saw the documentary on what Amazon does with all the returns.  Speaking of polluting the environment and our country! Worse than anything I could imagine.  This item will likely end up in just such a place rather than trying to correct it. Although it did not come from Amazon, I am aware, but it will go in a scrap pile of unwanted. But as long as Wall Street loves it and the American consumer demands it, we will tolerate this lack of quality and polluion.  Now, how long before this is deleted by TPTB.

@Nonametoday   Have to ask, what is Amazon doing with it's returns?  Thanks in advance.

@Lucky Charm   Many warehouses and landfills are full of them and when their warehouses are full, they take them to the landfill and it is worse than old cars which can be crushed and recycled, because Amazon sells a mixture of things and they do not separate them out by metal, technology, cotton, plastic, etc.  They just dump all in one place and there are millions of items returned weekly.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

@Mindy D  I guess I am in the minority here but it looks like a lovely ornament.  I would not bother with the hassle of returning it.  Though I am not for being unhappy with a purchase but sometimes I find the returns more of a headache.  What I would do is find a place that does engraving/crafts or even someone you know who can paint intricately and see if the B can be corrected?    It's a possibility, then you can keep the ornament for the gift.

I would however make my disappointment known to the company and tell them you won't be ordering again.  Maybe you can get a partial refund at least.

@LindaSal @Both my niece, my nephew and I are all very artistic and we could paint the B however, Lenox uses genuine 24K gold ceramic for its painting and afterwards the ornament if refired in their kiln. I will find out how my niece and nephew feel. I'm still not contacting them yet  so they can have the happy holiday weekend they need with a new baby. I posted what the gold ceramic paint looks like. It would be more money to repaint this way than to order a new ornament.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

85D417E4-9C8E-4814-B9B4-18B7D6708DE7.jpeg7EF62486-4FD2-4213-A14B-E0761A845569.jpeg