Honored Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

I have been looking at alternative baby's first Christmas and the ones I've seen are not that great. Hallmark's have sunk downward in design. They aren't pretty at all. They look like dime store pieces. The Waterford ornaments don't look good at all and would not show up on a tree. I checked Newman Marcus, Macy's and a general search online. I don't want Etsy because they take so long to get things to you.  I could order an unperesonalized Lenox ornament at Macy's. They have the rattle available and for less money, but the price I see doesn't include shipping and tax. If Lenox Ok a return for a full refund I might try that becausecMacy's would be at my nieces house in time for Christmas. I'm not going to talk to my niece and ' nephew'about this until Sunday because I want them to enjoy their holiday without any thought of things she has to take care of. She might not even like the ornament. I don't know if she would tell me so or not. I have sent her other gifts for the baby so this is not as if it's the only nice thing she got from me. She is not a greedy girl and she's is not into anything ostentatious. I thought the gold edging on the ornament might even be too ostentatious for her, but she does have other porcelain ornaments that she's had since childhood on her tree. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

This should arrive by 12/5, from Etsy.

Baby's First Christmas Benelux Aluminum Ornament Wedding image 0

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  How thoughtful of you!  I would call them in the morning, and explain the issue.  If they care about their reputation, the person you speak with with make it right. 

Good luck, that is a really nice rocking horse ornament.

If you don't have luck with Lenox, there is a company called things remembered dot com, and they have a really cute silver baby bootie ornament and you can get the little heart engraved.  I've seen their work at my local mall, and it's nice and you can either pick up from the store or have it shipped in 1-2 days.  About $30 and they have other styles available too.

000358299.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

How disappointing! I had no idea that Lennox had sold out, but the quality and workmanship that they were known for is apparently not there - at least for this segment of their business. I'd contact Lennox by email or phone ( probably both ) and send the photos you've shown here. I doubt very much that they will want the ornament back - what the heck would they do with it? As adorable as the rocking horse is, why risk asking for another one and hope that it will be perfect?

Personally, I'd ask for a refund and wouldn't pay for the postage to send the defective item back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

Many of these old company names - have been sold to companies who manufacture "cheap" products. Definitely "Return to Sender."

I have a KitchenAid toaster -- obviously, not made by KitchenAid. There are 2 slots for bread - each slot toast differently ---- and, using each slot ---- both sides toast differently. I read that many companies sell their names to other companies ---- and the quality is much lower.

@kivah 

They are selling out to China and the quality is not the same.  writing and printing are not even like ours, nor quality. This is just crushing. What a beautiful little ornament for the baby and it had to be defective. I know you are just heartsick. You did a wonderful thing. The moneygrubbers do cheap work and call it classy. I saw the documentary on what Amazon does with all the returns.  Speaking of polluting the environment and our country! Worse than anything I could imagine.  This item will likely end up in just such a place rather than trying to correct it. Although it did not come from Amazon, I am aware, but it will go in a scrap pile of unwanted. But as long as Wall Street loves it and the American consumer demands it, we will tolerate this lack of quality and polluion.  Now, how long before this is deleted by TPTB.

Esteemed Contributor

Since it's defective I would return it and purchase another gift for your niece.

Honored Contributor

For over 35+ years I've bought personalized ornaments from Lenox and stopped wasting $$$ on errors & defects.

Three years ago I purchased a 1st too -- I don't think they have "craftsman" who really "hand painted" their products anymore.

The name was "stamped" on the ornament -- same scenario as you have.

I now buy from Personal Creations, Zazzle or Personalization Mall - 1/3 price, fast shipping & nice products.

I'd return .... that would bug me -- then again, I'm a perfectionist in my own right😉

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

No to my knowledge the last First Lady to buy "signature" Lenox for WH was Nancy Reagan.  

It's usually something Lenox boasts about but haven't heard about any new pieces for WH in years.

Then again, maybe times a changing ... can't give away my Lenox that's 35+ years old ...

It's not the "prestige brand" it used to be when it was outsourced -- like everything else☹️

Respected Contributor

Oh my, @Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

Oh my, @Mindy D .  I'm sorry this happened, and I'll bet Lenox will give you a refund (without requiring a return of the ornament) if you send them that picture while speaking with a CS rep.  I wish I'd seen your post earlier, because just this evening I bought a personalized Lenox ornament with 6 names on it!  I've decided to take my chances and not cancel the order. And I'll ask the recipients to send me a picture when it arrives. If it's defective in any way, I'll ask for a refund, and if I don't get it, I'll set up a dispute via FedEx (in my 30 years with them, I've never lost a single dispute with a merchant).  In any case, I'm sure you'll find the perfect piece for your niece's baby!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

Honestly, I don't understand the dilemma ... you got a defective piece of kwap .... why would you consider giving it to them? 

Call the Customer Service people, talk to a human and give them a hard time.  Perhaps they will issue a refund without you returning it ... I've had that happen.  What do they want with a defective ornament?  It will only get tossed out.

Move on to finding another nice gift.  You have time.