Honored Contributor

Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

[ Edited ]

My niece gave birth to her first baby in October. I was so happy for her and her long time bf (20 yrs). They are over the moon happy because they have always wanted a child and they never expected this to happen. My niece has been through he.l being pregnant during this pandemic.

I wanted to give them an unexpected surprise. A keepsake ornament for baby's first Christmas. I didn't want it to be a cheap looking thing. I wanted to send something they could cherish and bring out every Christmas.

I turned to Lenox. A month before the birth I had ordered a set of Lenox stainless steel flatware here on Q and the quality is terrific. This helped me decide to go to Lenox.

I read some of their spiel on their website about how they are the oldest American china company and they have made the Whitehouse china for years. I read about their factory, here in the U.S. and about their attention to detail with the hand painting of details before glazing. What I didn't know was that this was written in 2019 and that soon afterwards the company closed their US factory due to bankruptcy and they are now producing in another country. 

OK, so I go to look at their keepsake ornaments and choose a personalized fine china rocking horse ornament and paid extra for the baby's name and birthday to be hand painted on the ornament. I expected high quality. The price came to $58. It was taking so long to be shipped that I emailed the company and they tracked the ornament and that it would soon arrive at my niece's home. 

After a month it arrived. It's DEFECTIVE. The B in baby is not painted on correctly. The gold paint is half off.  I can barely read the baby's name, Hunter, on it.

FEBCBDCB-B071-41E2-A642-6C796C93160D.jpegIt should have never left the factory. Had it been painted here, by the workers that worked in their factory for years and years, it would never have shipped out. The workers took pride in their work and in Lennox's reputation. I also feel that the ornament is underwhelming compared to the photo of it on Lenox's site. 
It's a disappointment. 

Now I don't know what to do because the ornament can be returned, I think,  but I don't think it could make it back here in time for Christmas. What would you do? AA64A2C2-122E-4DE1-B20C-96777BB8CF0E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

[ Edited ]

Since it was sent to your niece, does she want to return it?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

apparently 11yRe: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

@Mindy D. I would, without a doubt, return it and I'd select another gift from a different source.  Go to a nice jewelry store and look at baby gifts.  You might also check out Etsy for "Baby's  First Christmas" ornaments.

I've  heard Chinese factories have lost so many workers, they're using inexperienced,  unskilled workers.  You apparently are a victim

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Your opinions. Should I return personalized baby 1st XMas gift ornament dilemma

@Mindy D 

It is defective. Contact the company about your concerns regarding a replacement in time for Christmas. 

Respected Contributor

I would call them immediately (tomorrow) and see what they say. I do not want to upset you but the ornament is on their website for $12. Try to return it and go elsewhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many of these old company names - have been sold to companies who manufacture "cheap" products. Definitely "Return to Sender."

I have a KitchenAid toaster -- obviously, not made by KitchenAid. There are 2 slots for bread - each slot toasts differently ---- and, using each slot ---- each side toasts differently. I read that many companies sell their names to other companies ---- and the quality is much lower.

Honored Contributor

Do you live far from your niece? 

If you do, first you would need to talk to her about it because she would be the one that has to pack it back up and take it to the post office or UPS.

Maybe Lenox will offer a refund instead of having to return it.  E-mail them and attach a picture of the sloppy personalization.

Honored Contributor

I agree about returning/exchanging.  Lenox is a favorite of mine and generally make beautiful pieces.   This piece, as it is shown in the ad certainly is beautiful and it needs to be done correctly.

I hope you're able to get a good one.  Good thing you started early!

Honored Contributor

I would return it post haste and I'd also get an ornament that couldn't be broken thinking on down the line and moving and packing, but could be engraved.

Honored Contributor

Most definitely, it should be returned.  Why reward a company selling shoddy products.  Buy something else.

I wonder if the White House is still buying from Lenox.