Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

@Nicknack wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 62 and retired/disabled not on SSD or Medicare. I don't qualify for that. My state has a health insurance marketplace where I go and apply for the tax credit (cost sharing/subsidy) option. After I find out how much credit I receive then I go and look for a plan offered in the state marketplace. I don't usually pay anything for my insurance because the credit is substantial enough to cover a basic Bronze Level plan. However, with each passing year the choices of plans have dwindled and I am left to choose from high-priced plans that are too expensive for me to buy now. I am not sure if I will have any insurance in the upcoming year because of this. Right now my Bronze Level plan costs about $300 per month just for myself and that is paid for by the tax credit I qualify for with my income level. From what I understand the subsidy is going away and this looks grim for me and I'm sure for many others in the same boat as me.

@SilleeMee  You say you're disabled but aren't on SSD.  Have you applied?  I applied and was denied twice.  When I went to an attorney that specializes in disability, they told me I should not have been turned down.  I was approved when they filed for me.  If you were turned down without going through an attorney you really should see one.  You don't pay them unless you're approved, and then their fee is taken out of your settlement.

My former son-in-law has been turned down twice, I got a number for an attorney from a friend and gave it to him 2 months ago.  He  still hasn't called him and my daughter is helping him out, but you are right, I heard once you get an attorney chances are good you will be approved.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I am not married, on medicare and pay $197 a month for my Aetna Plan F supplement.  My prescription drug plan is $71.30 per month and I just received  notice starting in 2018 it will be $84 a month.  I know the supplement will go up in 2018, it  has increased every year for the last 14 years.  My drug plan is  not so great, I have two pain scripts a month which costs me out of pocket $72.  I am shocked at the amounts being paid that I see here, and 2018 will be even more expensive.  How are people supposed to survive?  Incidentally, with all the surgeries, hospital stays and home physical therapy I have had in the 14 years with my health plan I have paid nothing, not one penny. All doctor visits including ER are paid 100%.   I can't complain.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I am 64 and buy my own insurance.  I pay $1170 per month for Blue Cross-Blue Shield.  It is a basic, no frills, high deductible policy.  My insurance will no longer be available at the end of 2017.  No company will be selling individual policies in my state in 2018. 

I will have 6 months to go until I qualify for medicare and I am unsure at this time what I will do.  The state is trying to get a stop-gap waiver approved by the federal government and should know by the end of the month whether or not it will be allowed.  If it is allowed, some insurance companies will be willing to sell individual policies.  

Needless to say, I can hardly wait for medicare!

I'm about 3 years from Medicare and I have friends that have warned me that I need to make sure I find doctors I want before that happens bc many doctors will not take Medicare from new patients but if you'd been a long time patient they will allow you to transition to it.  I think that's the issue with one of the posts above.  

Honored Contributor

My Medicare supplement sent me notice Mon that my policy is going up 5.00 a month.

So far haven't heard anything from Medicare Part B will be going up

They may be waiting till Nov to spring that on all of us.

Honored Contributor

My husband has 100% service connected disability and receives all health coverage thru the VA.   He also has Medicare coverage.   I have coverage thru the VA at no cost to me.  

My best friend and her husband are self employed, and pay nearly $1800. a month for their coverage.   

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I am 64 and buy my own insurance.  I pay $1170 per month for Blue Cross-Blue Shield.  It is a basic, no frills, high deductible policy.  My insurance will no longer be available at the end of 2017.  No company will be selling individual policies in my state in 2018. 

I will have 6 months to go until I qualify for medicare and I am unsure at this time what I will do.  The state is trying to get a stop-gap waiver approved by the federal government and should know by the end of the month whether or not it will be allowed.  If it is allowed, some insurance companies will be willing to sell individual policies.  

Needless to say, I can hardly wait for medicare!

Medicare coverage isn't much better.   I thought like you about Medicare.   I am on a advantage pllan and it is okay.  I am thinking about a supplement but not sure I can afford it.   Medicare now has a group of Dr.'s that decide on certain meds like pain pills etc.   These Dr.'s that don't know you or have your records make that decision.  I am really disgusted and haven't even been on it a yr.  Not sure what I am paying , I believe around 141.00 a month.  I will be curious if Medicare gets a raise this year.  I was in the exchange and I hated it, because of the hassle to reapply very year.  They paid a lot better then Medicare does.  I think when people that see the hike in premiums it won't be a good thing.   The other thing that gets me is we work our whole lives, and they take our money out for Medicarewithout us approving it,  however you still have to pay a monthly premium and now they are telling the Dr.'s how to treat patient.  Something is very wrong!

$141 per month is a huge bargain compared to $1170.  

Honored Contributor

I am extremely lucky.  Other than the amount deducted from my SS check for Medicare, I pay nothing. As a retired school teacher, my secondary insurance was part of my retirement package.

My husband is on Medicare and his secondary is part of a group policy.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I am 45 on SSDI. My two years were up and I went on Medicare last summer. My united healthcare advantage plan is $32 a month. It actually went down three dollars. Of course then you have the regular Medicare taking out of SS check. Before I got on Medicare to bridge the gap until I was eligible I had a UHC plan through the state exchange. It was around $100 a month. I qualified for subsidies. I had two jaw surgeries this year. The total cost for both was around 300k. I ended up paying around $3300.  My out of pocket cap is $5200. 

My dads supplement through his retirement package is around $90.  My mom has until June of 2018 for Medicare so she has the same health insurance they had while my dad was working.  It's around $200 a month. They also pay about $100 a month for dental for  both of them.

I never understood why those accepted for disability have to wait an additonal 2 yrs to get Medicare @ccassaday. I had a girlfriend years ago who had to wait and tried to get Medicaid in the mean time but her income from SSDI was $17 too much a month so she was denied. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Just under $500, but that includes Dental as well.

Regular Contributor

My husband and I are on our own separate insurance through work. I pay $112 a month and he pays $275 a month.  To add him to my insurance it would cost me over $300 a month. He does have better insurance though, he has a $1000 deductible and I have $1500.  I used every bit of that $1500 with the Gall Bladder surgery I had this year!