Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,884
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Sue98...my girl friend 64 yrs old...her share per month is $400.00, employer pays $400.00  It is BCBS and is good insurance.  I don't know her deductible.

 

My dh is on Medicare, his supplement is $162.00/month plus his drug plan.

I am 62....good health, my insurance went from $500.00 in 2016 to 800.00 in 2017 and I saw the premium was over $1000.00/month for 2018!  Who can afford that?  It was GREAT insurance but I went with a Christian Health plan..$301.00 month/$3600.00 deductible.  It covers NO preventitive tests, blood work, etc. but I am healthy and taking my changes until I am 65.

 

Good luck --we are all getting #@$% on health care.


@Mom2Dogs  My sister is in one of those.  I am almost tempted to join her. Her husband is a small business owner and no one will sell him insurance. 

 

I think she has a $500 deductible and nominal monthly fees plus a brother's keeper extra payment every so often.  They have two small kids and have had a lot of medical expenses which so far have been covered completely.  

 

I only pay $120 a month for being a single through work but my deductible is $6500 which I will never hit ever unless a bus runs me over.   

 

I broke my wrist four months ago.  $2000 in medical bills.  BCBS paid $7.00.  You read that right $7.00 for two prescriptions I never took.

 

Let's do the math. 

 

$120/month x 12 months = $1440 in premiums to the insurance company

 

$2000 in medical expenses to me

 

$7 credit back to me from the insurance company

 

I kept giving my BCBS card to the doctor saying "Here.  Have a souvenir."

 

So I am out $1440 in premiums + $2000 in medical expenses less $7 credit = $3,433.

 

Had I not had any insurance, I'd be out only $2,007.  A savings of $1,426.

 

Smiley Frustrated

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,206
Registered: ‎08-08-2011

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

Before I turned 65 about a year ago I was paying $670 per month with $7000 deductible for just myself.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,587
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

The 'plan' (the do not call is insurance)  I am in does NOT pay for anything related to a pre-existing condition for 3 years...might be a big deal if you have health issues.

 

I also got a $50.00 discount for 1 year because my weight, blood pressure, and other blood work was very good....I have to reapply next year to get the discount.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,892
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

$410 per month for me. $410 per month for my husband.  $820 per month total.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,115
Registered: ‎10-05-2010

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?


@sunshine45 wrote:

PPO

one adult 55 years old, 2 children in their 20s

$1000 deductible

$20 regular doctor copay

$30 specialist

eye exams included

 

close to $1600 a month.

no group plan, no employer paid benefits.

 


 

I could have sworn ours was around $1600 a month, but seeing all these other numbers made me think I must be mistaken.  Ours is through an employer and a family plan.  It doesn't matter if you have one child or ten.  Four thousand dollar deductible per person/$6000 family.  We never come close to meeting our deductible, but I should be thankful for that :-) 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?


@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 62 and retired/disabled not on SSD or Medicare. I don't qualify for that. My state has a health insurance marketplace where I go and apply for the tax credit (cost sharing/subsidy) option. After I find out how much credit I receive then I go and look for a plan offered in the state marketplace. I don't usually pay anything for my insurance because the credit is substantial enough to cover a basic Bronze Level plan. However, with each passing year the choices of plans have dwindled and I am left to choose from high-priced plans that are too expensive for me to buy now. I am not sure if I will have any insurance in the upcoming year because of this. Right now my Bronze Level plan costs about $300 per month just for myself and that is paid for by the tax credit I qualify for with my income level. From what I understand the subsidy is going away and this looks grim for me and I'm sure for many others in the same boat as me.


@SilleeMee  You say you're disabled but aren't on SSD.  Have you applied?  I applied and was denied twice.  When I went to an attorney that specializes in disability, they told me I should not have been turned down.  I was approved when they filed for me.  If you were turned down without going through an attorney you really should see one.  You don't pay them unless you're approved, and then their fee is taken out of your settlement.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Sue98...my girl friend 64 yrs old...her share per month is $400.00, employer pays $400.00  It is BCBS and is good insurance.  I don't know her deductible.

 

My dh is on Medicare, his supplement is $162.00/month plus his drug plan.

I am 62....good health, my insurance went from $500.00 in 2016 to 800.00 in 2017 and I saw the premium was over $1000.00/month for 2018!  Who can afford that?  It was GREAT insurance but I went with a Christian Health plan..$301.00 month/$3600.00 deductible.  It covers NO preventitive tests, blood work, etc. but I am healthy and taking my changes until I am 65.

 

Good luck --we are all getting #@$% on health care.


@Mom2Dogs  My sister is in one of those.  I am almost tempted to join her. Her husband is a small business owner and no one will sell him insurance. 

 

I think she has a $500 deductible and nominal monthly fees plus a brother's keeper extra payment every so often.  They have two small kids and have had a lot of medical expenses which so far have been covered completely.  

 

I only pay $120 a month for being a single through work but my deductible is $6500 which I will never hit ever unless a bus runs me over.   

 

I broke my wrist four months ago.  $2000 in medical bills.  BCBS paid $7.00.  You read that right $7.00 for two prescriptions I never took.

 

Let's do the math. 

 

$120/month x 12 months = $1440 in premiums to the insurance company

 

$2000 in medical expenses to me

 

$7 credit back to me from the insurance company

 

I kept giving my BCBS card to the doctor saying "Here.  Have a souvenir."

 

So I am out $1440 in premiums + $2000 in medical expenses less $7 credit = $3,433.

 

Had I not had any insurance, I'd be out only $2,007.  A savings of $1,426.

 

Smiley Frustrated

 

 

 


@Laura14

I am on Medicare and this is exactly why I don't have a "secondary."  The monthly premiums are more than the 20% I have to pay, when one adds it up at the end of the year.

 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,327
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

I currently pay $650 per month for an individual, Bronze level, PPO plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Other than that which is mandated by law, it pays for absolutely nothing  (although there is some reduction in costs for in network providers) until I pay $6550 out of my own pocket first. Next year it will cost me $830 per month for the same plan. There is one plan that is less expensive, but it's an HMO that provides coverage ONLY within a very narrow network and ONLY within one county. None of the hospitals accept that plan, nor do any of the physician practices. Although the plan is available for purchase on the exchange, I deal directly with the insurance company as I don't qualify for any assistance with premiums, so there's no point in putting up with the hassle of the exchange. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,955
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

[ Edited ]

I'm on a silver Obama care plan and it costs $840.00 just for me for so so coverage.  DH is on Medicare. Between Medicare & his supplemental plan (a basic plan) he pays $260.00 a month.  

 

Total for the two of us is $1100.00....I sure hope it doesn't go up in January!

 

ETA:  I feel screwed compared to most of you and I actually can't wait to turn 65!!....two years to go!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 29,394
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?


@Nicknack wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 62 and retired/disabled not on SSD or Medicare. I don't qualify for that. My state has a health insurance marketplace where I go and apply for the tax credit (cost sharing/subsidy) option. After I find out how much credit I receive then I go and look for a plan offered in the state marketplace. I don't usually pay anything for my insurance because the credit is substantial enough to cover a basic Bronze Level plan. However, with each passing year the choices of plans have dwindled and I am left to choose from high-priced plans that are too expensive for me to buy now. I am not sure if I will have any insurance in the upcoming year because of this. Right now my Bronze Level plan costs about $300 per month just for myself and that is paid for by the tax credit I qualify for with my income level. From what I understand the subsidy is going away and this looks grim for me and I'm sure for many others in the same boat as me.


@SilleeMee  You say you're disabled but aren't on SSD.  Have you applied?  I applied and was denied twice.  When I went to an attorney that specializes in disability, they told me I should not have been turned down.  I was approved when they filed for me.  If you were turned down without going through an attorney you really should see one.  You don't pay them unless you're approved, and then their fee is taken out of your settlement.


 

@NickNack.

I do not qualify for SSD benefits or Medicare (at age 65) because I was employed by state government and I did not contribute or was required to contribute to SS. When I was working SS was never deducted from my paychecks nor were any Medicare taxes taken out. So I am not eligible for any type of benefits from Social Security. I receive state pension and I am eligible to apply for state government retiree health insurance. When I turn 65, however, I will have to pay full price for Medicare which most people do not have to pay for. This is worrisome.Woman Indifferent