Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

I am 45 on SSDI. My two years were up and I went on Medicare last summer. My united healthcare advantage plan is $32 a month. It actually went down three dollars. Of course then you have the regular Medicare taking out of SS check. Before I got on Medicare to bridge the gap until I was eligible I had a UHC plan through the state exchange. It was around $100 a month. I qualified for subsidies. I had two jaw surgeries this year. The total cost for both was around 300k. I ended up paying around $3300.  My out of pocket cap is $5200. 

My dads supplement through his retirement package is around $90.  My mom has until June of 2018 for Medicare so she has the same health insurance they had while my dad was working.  It's around $200 a month. They also pay about $100 a month for dental for  both of them.

I never understood why those accepted for disability have to wait an additonal 2 yrs to get Medicare @ccassaday. I had a girlfriend years ago who had to wait and tried to get Medicaid in the mean time but her income from SSDI was $17 too much a month so she was denied. 

I don't either. This is a situation where Obamacare was a good thing. This is the situation it should be offered. I got very lucky I was able to get a great plan in those two years and was able to only pay $100 a month. I don't know what would of happened if that hadn't been available for those two years. 

Trusted Contributor

My DH’s company pays for our medical insurance, however we have a $5,000.00 deductible. $100.00 per month is deducted from his paycheck to cover dental and vision insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

About $550 for me and my spouse.  That includes dental. We have been treated very well so far and I am happy that we are able to get a good plan through my employer (retired)

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I am 64 and buy my own insurance.  I pay $1170 per month for Blue Cross-Blue Shield.  It is a basic, no frills, high deductible policy.  My insurance will no longer be available at the end of 2017.  No company will be selling individual policies in my state in 2018. 

I will have 6 months to go until I qualify for medicare and I am unsure at this time what I will do.  The state is trying to get a stop-gap waiver approved by the federal government and should know by the end of the month whether or not it will be allowed.  If it is allowed, some insurance companies will be willing to sell individual policies.  

Needless to say, I can hardly wait for medicare!

Medicare coverage isn't much better.   I thought like you about Medicare.   I am on a advantage pllan and it is okay.  I am thinking about a supplement but not sure I can afford it.   Medicare now has a group of Dr.'s that decide on certain meds like pain pills etc.   These Dr.'s that don't know you or have your records make that decision.  I am really disgusted and haven't even been on it a yr.  Not sure what I am paying , I believe around 141.00 a month.  I will be curious if Medicare gets a raise this year.  I was in the exchange and I hated it, because of the hassle to reapply very year.  They paid a lot better then Medicare does.  I think when people that see the hike in premiums it won't be a good thing.   The other thing that gets me is we work our whole lives, and they take our money out for Medicarewithout us approving it,  however you still have to pay a monthly premium and now they are telling the Dr.'s how to treat patient.  Something is very wrong!

I may be wrong but I believe that if you have an Advantage plan you can never switch to a supplemental plan.  But, if you have a supplemental play you CAN switch to an advantage plan.  

Respected Contributor

We pay about $550.00 a month.   Medicare + supplemental plan + my RX plan.   DH is a vet and gets his RX from the VA/Walmart. 

Long term care insurance is another $800.00 a month.   Getting old is expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My husband has 100% service connected disability and receives all health coverage thru the VA.   He also has Medicare coverage.   I have coverage thru the VA at no cost to me.  

My best friend and her husband are self employed, and pay nearly $1800. a month for their coverage.   

$1800 a month...ouch.  That is outrageous, how can people afford to pay that kind of money for health insurance?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we are both retired from law enforcement and our retirement package included medical for lifetime (no out of pocket fees), eyecare,  Rx cost $2 no limits, and $1500/year in dental benefits.

OurMedicare premiums are reimbursed back to us every year. 

We are very fortunate.  As retirees from same pension system we each have our own YET if something happens & one of us losses it we automatically go on the one who still has it.

Valued Contributor

I am on SSD and have yet to check on Medicare.  I am using Cobra until I qualify.  I am really very worried about getting the health care I need after I lose my insurance from Cobra.  I have heart disease, COPD, Thyroid disease nd Breast Cancer (under control at this time).   I am not wealthy but own too much to qualify for SSDI .  The supplement cost is what worries me for Medicare as I am on over 12 meds and on Oxygen full time and have 2 machines that are needed which are costly every month.  I also have a nebulizer and meds for that needed daily.   At times I feel like if I were a horse they would shoot me but I am always very happy.  Nurses at hospital always talk about how unreal it is that  I am always laughing and playful.  I may not be when I find out what it costs for pre-exsisting coverage is for drugs, dental and eyes (getting ready to have 2 cateracts removed in a month).    Does anyone here have the supplements for Medicare that they acquired with Pre-existing issues and does it cover well.  I know my eye MD has free eye  glassed for those on Medicare (Walmart...not certain if all Walmarts for the MD)...so some people get perks for Medicare. Stinks when you work 4o  plus years and have no idea how you will live after you no longer can work.   My child went to college for 10 years which really messed up my savings and I was not expecting to have to leave work so soon.  To the young, WORD to the WISE.....save save save that $$$.....take the max 401 K match and live off what is left.  Wish I had listened to my own advice.

Contributor

I think I have all of you beat. I pay $1005.81 a month. I have a $4500 deductible and co-pays and co insurance which is different than the deductible.  Three more months I’ll be on Medicare.  I’ll save about $600.00 a month.  Thank goodness for 65. 

New Contributor

My husband is in Teamsters, we pay nothing, and copays are $15.