Respected Contributor

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

@ECBG wrote:

Mine, FREE, a benefit for being a career teacher in the state.

DH's $500.00.  He's been a heart patient since 34 and had the city's first angioplasty which I couldn't believe because he was and is still slim!

A slim build is no guarantee there will be no heart issues. I was significantly underweight when I had an angioplasty/stent last year.  No one should feel immune to coronary artery disease just because they are thin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay about $500. a month which includes my Blue Cross high option Federal Government health insurance and Medicare.I Have excellent drug coverage and no deductable for anything. What's missing is dental and that can cost an arm and a leg.so I have to get extra coverage for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have great insurance - thanks to my employer who actually pays for most of it. I only pay about $50 per month for myself (no husband or kids). I didn’t realize that so many people pay so much! I guess I’ve been under a rock. My heart goes out to people that will be hurt by the cutback in subsidies. 

Respected Contributor

I suppose we can tell what a good deal these policies are by how much they actually cover when needed.  In the past, even though mine paid 90%; the  10% for me to pay added up to a lot of money.  Drug coverage meant a lot to me as well.  Hard to believe that some drugs are priced so high.

Super Contributor

This is a very interesting topic! I have also wondered what others pay and I see by the replies that costs are all over the board. I am retired but get our coverage for myself, my husband, and our 25 year old son for $177 per month through my former employer.   ( 1 vision exam is included per year per person, but no dental). They also pay $3000 per year towards the deductible. There are no co-pays. Our coverage is excellent. I feel fortunate to have this coverage after working full time for 35 years. It will continue until I turn 65 in about 3 years, although my son will be getting his own insurance next year as he turns 26. 

Valued Contributor

$842 a month

63 Female - self employed

Through Federal Market place(Healthcare. Gov)

Anthem Silver HMO Plan/$2500 deductible

I receive no subsidies

My governor has announced the average rate increase for next year, for the 25,000 residents of our state that have coverage through this marketplace and receive NO subsidies will be 52%.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

Federal Blue Cross for me and my spouse is 510.00 a month.  It will go up in November when Open Season rolls around. 

Honored Contributor

For 2018, I'll pay $15 a month for me for BCBS CDHP HSA.  $1500 deductible, employer contribution of $700.  $3000 out of pocket.  I pay all medical bills until meeting deductible.  Then I pay 20% of bill until meeting out of pocket.  Then I pay nothing if I stay in network.  Maintenance prescriptions are free.  All other prescriptions I pay 100% until meeting the deductible, 20% then on.  I am thankful I have really good insurance.

Respected Contributor

I have an individual platinum plan with BCBS HMO since all my docs take this insurance. I pay $897 per month with $15 copay and $0 deductible. I get my Pharmacy coverage as well. As a breast cancer survivor I would rather be safe than sorry. They made a lot of money on me this year but that's what insurance is about. If I had needed the coverage it would have been there. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm on the exchange now, but before the Affordable Care Act went into effect, I think I was at $520 a month.  I had to drop it and went without for a few years.  I think my ex husband was recently paying over 1200/month for him and the kids.  But it's his own business, so that's the employer as well as employee share.  I think his deductibles and copays are very high also.