Trusted Contributor

Your monthly cost for health insurance?

This is only meant for those of you who wish to share such information.  My husband gets health insurance through his employer.  I don't think it's great coverage, but it is what it is.  We used to get a $50 weekly credit, which we no longer get.  I just checked to see what amount is taken out of his check now for our insurance, and it is a total of $641.00 per month.  That is the cost for my husband and myself (no children).

I have no idea how that compares to any other plans we may be able to purchase on our own, and I also have no idea what other individuals pay for health insurance.

If you care to, can you tell me how much your monthly cost for health insurance is for you and your spouse?

Honored Contributor

Re: Your monthly cost for health insurance?

[ Edited ]

Depending on which of the three medical plans you take (all high deductible) and whether or not you are a tobacco user or not, the cost for a couple on my employer's plans range from $182 to $353.

Super Contributor

You can go to the obamacare healthcare exchange to see the prices of health insurance for 2018 policies for your age.  As far as I know your portion of insurance with your employer is about average, Coverage goes down and prices/copays go up every year. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay $550, but it is just me, no spouse, no kids.

I didn't realize I paid so much.  I have low co-pays and my medications, when needed, are pretty cheap at just $5 each bottle.  I pay $15 to see the doctor. 

Even though it seems pricey, I am thankful for it.  In 2010, I had emergency surgery and would have died without it.  Because it was an emergency, I didn't pay anything.  The cost for it was more than $150k.

Honored Contributor

I'm 62 and retired/disabled not on SSD or Medicare. I don't qualify for that. My state has a health insurance marketplace where I go and apply for the tax credit (cost sharing/subsidy) option. After I find out how much credit I receive then I go and look for a plan offered in the state marketplace. I don't usually pay anything for my insurance because the credit is substantial enough to cover a basic Bronze Level plan. However, with each passing year the choices of plans have dwindled and I am left to choose from high-priced plans that are too expensive for me to buy now. I am not sure if I will have any insurance in the upcoming year because of this. Right now my Bronze Level plan costs about $300 per month just for myself and that is paid for by the tax credit I qualify for with my income level. From what I understand the subsidy is going away and this looks grim for me and I'm sure for many others in the same boat as me.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter pays $72.45 for herself per month. If she were married, employee and spouse rate is $215.91.  The school district she works for pays an additional $173.00 per month for her and would be paying an additional $350, if she were married.

Total cost for her per month: $245.91

Married, no children: $565.91

She is a non-smoker. Smokers add $80 surcharge to that.

She has the bronze plan which is terrible insurance, but all the other options offered are not much better and expensive.

(edited to eliminate the pesky typo)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

We pay almost $700 a month - family of four, HMO from Blue Cross/Blue Shield.   Our co-pays are $40 for office visits and no deductibles.  It covers health, dental, prescriptions and pharmacy.   It’s a fair price for great coverage 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Depending on which of the three medical plans you take (all high deductible) and whether or not you are a tobacco user or not, the cost for a couple on my employer's plans range from $182 to $353.

@Sue98  My apologies!  I should have specified that is per paycheck so monthly as you asked would be double that or $364 to $706.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My daughter is single, 28 years old, she pays some, her employer pays some, it works out to a total of $512 a month.

Honored Contributor

I beleive we pay about 300 per month for DH and me and it comes directly out of his salary

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.