Respected Contributor

Re: Your memories of going back to school days.

God I hated the first day of school!  So stressful. I could never fall asleep the night before.  I hated dodgeball so much, I was terrified of it. I sometimes would wear a certain shoe that would fall off if I kicked a ball just to get out of having to do it.  I remember we used to make book covers out of paper grocery bags. Man that was the stone ages!  I was a pencil and eraser junkie.  They were like gems to me.  I hoarded them in my little pencil case. Loved all the school supplies actually. Especially the Trapper Keeper!  Wow such nostalgia.

Valued Contributor

Went to kindergarten in the afternoon in Queens, New York PS 79.Remember the gravel and cement playground and long hallways.

I specifically remember getting a Dr. Kildare binder in 4th grade and the 64 box of Crayola crayons. 

I remember that purple ink because I was a service monitor so I had to run those papers on the rexograph and mimeograph machine. Had many purple fingers!

Just bought all supplies for my 7 year old granddaughter....about $100, including Clorox wipes, tissues, hand sanitizers, and plastic bags.

She started school today. But after 44 years of teaching, I did not! 

Miss the beginning class work prep and comraderie but not the drive or stress.

Respected Contributor

I remember that dreaded gym uniform we had to wear grades 7-12.  I hated that gym class.  The uniform was blue shorts and a white shirt.  Our fist names were embroidered on the hem of the shorts and on the chest of the shirt.  We were required to take the uniform home of Friday and wash and starch it for Monday's class.  The teacher would call roll and inspect us.  We would have gym for 45 minutes, then we would be required to get nekked and shower in front of everyone.  I refused to do that, and I got a big fat F.  Even at 14 yrs old I knew that just wasn't right.  It's not a requirement in this day and age.

Respected Contributor

A white Monkees 3-ring-binder was a staple in my back to school ensemble. 

Beatles notebook.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember the first day of school itself but I remember my mom taking me school clothes shopping mostly at Penney's and Sears and picking out a pair of new shoes (most of the time from Kinney's).  My Aunt and two cousins always went with us and we'd shop and have lunch.  I remember picking out new folders and other supplies for school and was ALWAYS disappointed that mom wouldn't buy me the 64 color box of Crayola crayons.  I'm not even sure why I wanted them because I didn't like drawning or coloring all that well anyway.  LOL!  But, I do remember being envious of a few of my schoolmates whose mom had purchased those for them.  I normally got a pack w/ a smaller quantity.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The only thing I remember is how much I hated going back to school.  With a purple passion.  Not so much grade school, but beginning 7th grade I thought I could complete the 6 grades in front of me much faster if allowed to learn at my own pace.  Just give me the books and lesson plans.  

The annoying repetition of getting up early everyday, getting dressed, walking to school, sitting in classes all day, listening to teachers lecture all day.

After college, I took some external courses.  Other than given exams and lesson plans on Saturday mornings at a local university, no other classes.  Much better. 

Honored Contributor

I used to dread going back to school in elementary school, but I loved high school and couldn't wait to go back. I would work all summer so I could buy clothes and shoes to start the new school year off.

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Yes the smell of the early Autumn air, that crisp cool smell in the morning walking to school that you mentioned resonated with me.

Other memories: the first day of school was the day after Labor Day, school shopping for clothes and supplies, the lunch boxes and the thermos that came with it, in elementary school, you can buy lunch for $1.00, playground games like teather ball, kickball, hopscotch, tag, etc.

In middle school, I rode my bike to school or my parents would drive me. I still remember my 7th grade locker combination. In P.E., we did NOT have to shower (both junior high & high school) even though there were showers. Thank God! We wore blue uniforms which was a light blue t shirt and dark blue shorts.

In high school, I walked to and from school since I lived a few blocks away. Then by junior year, I drove.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember the names of all my teachers from 1st thru 6th.  I can them clear as day.  I remember a lot of high school teachers too as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

We went back to school after Labor Day so it was hard to give up that summer freedom. I was a nerd over school supplies. Loved my Nifty notebooks - magnetic closures. I can hear the delicate 'click' open and closure. Pencil holder with states and capitals helped develop an interest in geography. I loved looking at teacher's desk globe so I asked for a desk globe for my 10th birthday... Elementary students are so impressionable. I gave my grandson a desk globe for his 10th birthday and he loves it. My third grade teacher was neat and tidy. The classroom was decorated so nicely and everything had its place. It was a happy place. Once a week we either cleaned our desks or read a book. She would walk around, look at the inside of our desk,  and tell us what we needed to do. Fourth grade teacher was the opposite. Her hair was windblown most of the time, kids' coats on the floor, messy bookcases, her desk had coffee spills and papers all over it. The classroom looked like a disaster zone. I was never comfortable in that room. She was a nice lady. One day she gave me a ride home from school when I missed the bus. The inside of her VW bug looked like her classroom. Funny what you remember.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau