Trusted Contributor

Re: Your memories of going back to school days.

@Vivian wrote:

I grew up in Far Rockaway, NY. Our town was an isolated peninsula that was fairly self sufficient. We had a high school, a Main Street with basic shops for clothing, shoes, food, post office, and restaurants. We had public transportation to NYC, 90 minutes by subway. I went into Manhattan many times. Public transport was safe, I cannot imagine allowing my granddaughters to travel that way alone.

I grew up in Rockaway, & went to FRHS.  I remember Central Ave quite well.  Went to the city many times from Flatbush Ave.  No worries, then.  One of my favorite excursions was to 34th St, to Altman’s & Ohrbach’s for school clothes.  Miss my stores!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In grammar school using old cheese boxes for crayon holders. Pencil cases and sharpeners, and school bags, and never being allowed to wear pants. Having monitors in the halls, fire drills, and hiding under the desk for a siren practice. So many things.

In high school having 4 sessions for each class level. One beginning at 7:30AM and one starting at 1pm. Not being allowed out for lunch and the boys being separated from the girls at lunch. Going to detention halls, school doors were locked after admission times were done and the only way in was thru the office with a pass. Graduation took place a movie theater to hold the amount of people attending. There was a January graduation class and June graduation class.

I had a good time in Junior High School but a much better/terrific time in High School. Attending summer school to complete courses to take the Regent exams to graduate earlier from high school.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

You know, now that I am an adult, I've thought that how a student organized their school supplies was part of the education. Do I want a 3 ring binder or do I want a folder?  As you grew up, you learned what method worked best for you.  Nowadays they take away learning how best to organize yourself, by doing it for them.  I think they are loosing something.

My children used binders, folders, and notebooks throughout their school years. Teacher guidance re: organization, is invaluable. Nothing was lost, and much was gained.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

When I was in elementary school, there was always a day when our mother took us to school, and she paid our book fees, and bought our supplies

I was so excited, the first year I was able to get a paintbox filled with Prang, water color paints. It was something I always loved, but, I will be the first to confess, I am not an artist ,in any sense of the word. I just loved the metal paint box and all of the bright colors of paints, in their little squares

Honored Contributor

I remember always being nervous the first day of school, would I like my teacher ,would I know anyone in my class, and would I make any friends. The night before I would take a bath, go to sleep early ( I couldn't sleep because I was anxious), I always wore a new outfit the first day, to make a good first impression on the teacher! After school I would go to the store to shop for all my new school supplies.

Respected Contributor

Looking back how in the world did I carry all of those books! 😮

‘I didn’t have a back pack just a book bag.

Honored Contributor

Rode public transportation one hour each way......schools and buses were NOT air conditioned............not my fondest memories.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I love your post.🌸

I am sure it wasn’t good to breathe but I loved when the school hallways smelled of fresh paint lol🤣

I still love school supplies.

I think I will donate some!📒✏️✂️🖍📘

@Pqfan 

I  thought you were going to mention my favorite thing to smell during my school years - those purple printed pages fresh from the "ditto" machine.  And I wasn't the only kid who loved the smell.  It surely couldn't have been good for us!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I love your post.🌸

I am sure it wasn’t good to breathe but I loved when the school hallways smelled of fresh paint lol🤣

I still love school supplies.

I think I will donate some!📒✏️✂️🖍📘

@Pqfan 

I  thought you were going to mention my favorite thing to smell during my school years - those purple printed pages fresh from the "ditto" machine.  And I wasn't the only kid who loved the smell.  It surely couldn't have been good for us!

@shoesnbags Lol I loved that smell too.😂

And glue. 

‘How am I alive!😂

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having a new dress and new shoes to start the year.  Once I started babysitting, I bought a lot of my own clothes, and had more new stuff!  Girls had to wear skirts/dresses til I was a H.S. Sophomore....then the dress code changed and we were allowed to wear pants and jeans.

Metal lunch pails in grade school, a sack lunch in junior high....usually junk food from the student store in high school lol!

We never bought book covers....cut open paper grocery sacks, and used that paper to make our own.  Always had a small stash of new pencils and pens, Pink Pearl erasers (still remember how they smelled!), a binder and a few notebooks.  Mom bought the supplies when I was younger, once I was earning money I got my own (I had a lot of younger siblings).

Always loved school, and enjoyed going  back...for us it was always the day  after Labor Day.