Honored Contributor

Re: Your best finds from TJ Maxx/Marshall's?

[ Edited ]

My go to store is a combo TJ/Home Goods--- found  home decor gifts, kitchenware--LeCreuset Dutch Oven for my sis, 

Also some nice things in Marshalls....Christmas plates, handbags, area rugs for the kitchen....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Maybe the reason why we're not "finding" anything we want in these stores, is that we have a lot of it already.  I frequently go into Marshall's (love that store) and could easily spend a few hundred dollars on clothing, houseware, etc. but I do not need any of it.  Not the stores fault.  

At least TJ/Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods have a turnover of their items and it seems to me there is always something new to be found.  Not true of QVC, IMO!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Plan to go back to shopping locally at various stores some mentioned in this thread. I  came back to QVC this yr after a 20 yr hiatus of buying elsewhere . Gave it a try and I did buy some items  this past yr from QVC , however  plan to  go back to my favorite  local stores and  other online retailers who frequently offer free shipping  and substantial markdowns 30-40%  before Christmas.

Honored Contributor

I haven't shopped in either store in years, not since I started working from home.  The Marshall's near my job was one of the really good Marshall's that had new merchandise frequently and they carried  high end merchandise.  I once bought a $1000 leather handbag from an Italian designer (the name escapes me) for less than $300.  There's no value in getting a $30 tee shirt for $11.00 for me.  I liked getting the high TC sheets and cashmere sweaters at discounted prices.  I liked knowing that if I went in, I'd leave with something really nice.  The Marshall's and TJ Maxx's that closer to my home aren't like that.  It's hit or miss.  One day you can go in and find great stuff, the next 5 times, you go in and walk out empty handed.  

Respected Contributor

...and Homegoods. Too many great deals through the years to even remember them all.

I love Marshalls, especially, for their variety. And I like how sweaters, tops, dresses, pants, etc. are displayed within each category so I don't miss anything. There's always something which appeals to me in the purse/wallet department, too. A recent purchase was a beautiful Michael Kors purse.

Also, I'm a huge fan of one of their propietary brands of nonstick cookware (I mentioned it on another thread). I stumbled upon it about three years ago, and keep adding pieces as they show up.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bought a super-soft Christmas throw, then cut it in two, half for the cat, half for the dog.  Very little fraying, just shook them out in the yard.  They love them.  Cheap and pretty, fun for the holidays.  I can donate to vet's office later if we wish.  

I'm a Marshall's fan too.  I like to get the Michel plunger bottles of foamy hand soap.  About $12 elsewhere, even more on Amazon, $5.99 at Marshalls. Make a nice small gift so I pick them up when I see them. Socks are a good value too, also laundry detergent packets (cannot think of the name right now).  Comes in a metal tin.  Seems like I always find something that's a good deal every time I go.  

Respected Contributor

I was about to say nothing because I seldom have the patience to go thru all of that stuff.   But then I remembered arriving in Boston on May 12, 2011 and it was blistery cold.  This was in spite of checking the forecast everyday.

We rushed to Marshall's and I bought a $699.00 Tahari leather moto jacket for $99.00.   I loved that jacket and wore it all of the time.  One winter about 4 years ago on our first cold day I went to the closet to get it and it was gone.   We searched high and low and never found it.  I have no idea if I left it somewhere but to this day I wish I still had it.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I don't shop online

I live within 10 miles of 4 stores

Lately I have not been impressed with the offerings.

I usually shop from every department but this season, nothing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I have been shopping these stores for many years and it was always my go to.  I too am saving some money for the after Christmas sales but I don't see how it's going to get better.  I just hope it's not a sign that it's going the way of so many other retailers, they don't encourage customers in their stores then are disappointed when their sales have dropped.

@queendiva wrote:

Probably half of what is in my home and closet is from TJMaxx, Marshall's and HomeGoods. Love that store!

That said, I did not find as many goodies this Christmas shopping season as I have in years past. In the past I have gotten great deals on top of the line French perfumes. Lower quality offerings in this category this year. Purchased no clothes for myself or for gifts. Will wait for January for markdowns on clothes and use a year's worth of rewards certificates from my TJX card, although I did not see anything on the racks that was calling out to me.

Agreed, TJX stores, though still somewhat favorites, do not seem to be getting the level of merchandise they once did. For the past several years, while I still find quite a bit to my liking, the overall offerings have been somewhat a disappointment compared to days gone by.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

Maybe the reason why we're not "finding" anything we want in these stores, is that we have a lot of it already.  I frequently go into Marshall's (love that store) and could easily spend a few hundred dollars on clothing, houseware, etc. but I do not need any of it.  Not the stores fault.  

At least TJ/Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods have a turnover of their items and it seems to me there is always something new to be found.  Not true of QVC, IMO!!!

That might be part of it but I think the larger part of it might have to do with stiffer competition for overstock and close-out items. As almost every brand, retailer and department store now has their own 'outlet' type store I suspect TJX isn't able to procure quite the same level of merchandise they could before, for example, there was Nordstrom Rack, Saks off 5th, and so on, not even to mention the increase in the number of outlet centers that have sprung up in recent years. Do agree, though, about the benefts of variety and turnover of items, so often lacking on QVC.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I was standing in the always long checkout line at TJ Maxx.  I struck up a conversation with the lady behind me and she was so excited that she found Washington Nationals official World Series Champion MLB hats in the men's section for $9.99. (This is a big deal as I am in the DC area.)

She held my place in line and I ran over and picked up enough for my family.

What a bargain!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF