Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Views On Anniversary Parties

Thank you for all of the well wishes. My parents were 6 months shy of their 50th when my

dad died. We got married on their 23rd anniversary. I can't believe how fast a half a century can go by.

Honored Contributor

DH and I are going on a 2 week cruise to Alaska for our 40th in September.  We are not "party" people.

Esteemed Contributor

Count DH and me as more quiet and reserved types of people.  When we had our 50th anniversary two years ago, we had a quiet, small celebration in a private room in one of our favorite restaurants.  Our DD and SIL, our DS and DIL, and DB and his DW were in attendance.  We had given our gifts to each other in private before.  I was adamant about no gifts, but sometimes folks don’t listen.  Gifts were Waterford flutes for our 50th, and open arrangements for a special family portrait to be taken on the grounds of a nearby estate turned into a museum. Old stone walls and other unusual backdrops.  As we are casual people, everyone dressed in jeans except little GD.  We also had some pics of DH’s old trophy convertible with us in and around it.  The pictures are lovely, taken on a beautiful early fall day.  This was perfect for us.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian, DH and I went to Niagara on the Lake once for an afternoon and found it such a beautiful spot.  It is one of those places I would love to return to and stay a while.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2...I feel like you do.  DH and I will celebrate 40 years in a few months..and nothing big will happen.  We rarely travel so we may go away for a week, that is yet to be decided.

We don't have kids (he has two)...so there really is no one that we would 'celebrate' with anyway.  Things are pretty quiet at our house, which can be a curse at times, sigh.

Honored Contributor

I prefer low key with just my children, grandchildren, however a Family Dinner would be ok at a restaurant as well, but with my husband's family being as huge as it is, you may as well rent out a Hall, because just to do a Family dinner with all Siblings and their spouses would end up being at least 50 people, and then if you added in their children, we are looking at at least 100 people, and then if you add in our church, then there is even more, so it never ends, so a small intimate Dinner is fine, or even a family trip together would be great!!!! 

Honored Contributor

I’ve never been to one and I’d never have one. I’m really not a hoopla kind of girl.  And I don’t like being the center of attention. I’m much more low key. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

While I think that others should do what they want to do, it's just not for me.   

I always felt that a wedding anniversary is between those two people, not the whole world.   Maybe celebrating with your kids - sure.  That seems nice.

But one thing that comes to mind for me, and was mentioned by a recent poster, is that even if you were to put 'please, no gifts' on the invitation, there will always be those disrespectful neanderthals who must make it all about them and bring gifts.   That would anger me and it would make some of the other guests, who WERE respectful of our wishes, feel badly.

Needless to say, for me - no party.    I'll never make it to a 50 anyway, but we will be married for 20 years in July.  Smiley Happy   PS:  no party.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

We have a big anniversary coming up and I'm calling the shots on this one: we are having a big party because I want one.  All of my other milestones have been ignored by my husband, not just birthdays, so this will be more my party than his, really.  Yes, ego-driven for sure, but heck, it only happens once.  I think the kids attending will have the best time because they already know we're getting out our chocolate fountain. LOL!

(Thank you Navy for providing me with military honors at my retirement.  That was one momentous ceremony, folded flag and all.)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

We have a big anniversary coming up and I'm calling the shots on this one: we are having a big party because I want one.  All of my other milestones have been ignored by my husband, not just birthdays, so this will be more my party than his, really.  Yes, ego-driven for sure, but heck, it only happens once.  I think the kids attending will have the best time because they already know we're getting out our chocolate fountain. LOL!

(Thank you Navy for providing me with military honors at my retirement.  That was one momentous ceremony, folded flag and all.)

GO FOR BROKE! Hope you have even. Orefun than we did !!!