Esteemed Contributor

Your Views On Anniversary Parties

Our 50th anniversary is in a few weeks. A couple of people asked if we were having a party. My sister asked last night. No, we are not. We are both pretty low key and don't want a fuss. Dinner with the kids and my sister's family is fine. Two of his brothers and their wives were given surprise parties. Also they put write ups in the local paper. The paper thing is common here. The parties were very nice but it's not us. I hate being surprised with a passion. and both of our kids know that so no worries there. I told them long ago,surprise me and your're out of the will. lol What is your preference? Big blowout or quiet celebration.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Views On Anniversary Parties

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:
Our 50th anniversary is in a few weeks. A couple of people asked if we were having a party. My sister asked last night. No, we are not. We are both pretty low key and don't want a fuss. Dinner with the kids and my sister's family is fine. Two of his brothers and their wives were given surprise parties. Also they put write ups in the local paper. The paper thing is common here. The parties were very nice but it's not us. I hate being surprised with a passion. and both of our kids know that so no worries there. I told them long ago,surprise me and your're out of the will. lol What is your preference? Big blowout or quiet celebration.

i feel the same way you do!!  we've been married 48 years and i've already told my kids not to even think about a party......

Honored Contributor

I would absolutely detest that.  I'm just not a big party person.

I would rather go on a nice family vacation to celebrate our anniversary.  Dinner with a few close friends and family is also another choice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Extremely low-key, only the two of us.  I doubt either of us will be alive by then.  Conratulations to you!

Respected Contributor

On our 50th-3 years ago-we felt exactly as you do. I was having some health issues and I didn’t even think I could even have gone to my own anyways.

My husband put a beautiful piece in the paper and I had also. Neither one of knew this and we both were anxious to see the paper but we also surprised each other. THAT was what our 50th was all about to us.

Just a nice card from our kids at Anniversay time brings pleasure to us. They all write a beautiful note in it.

It’s your Anniversary and should celebrate the way you like.

It is nice when someone wants to give you a party and that is really all that counts.

Respected Contributor

My parents told me the same thing, and I did abide by their wishes.   I know in the past, my grandparents had a large celebration, received lovely trinkets, that we (the grandkids have) and is now collecting dust.   Sweet memories though.

A quiet dinner out, simple, no-fuss is certainly what I will have one day if we "make it."

Honored Contributor

Regardless of the event or celebration, I prefer mine low-key.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I could go either way.A big party would be fun. But a small intimate dinner with DH,son & his girlfriend would be fine too.

Funny you mention that because my son & I are planning a birthday bash for DH who turns 70 this summer.We are only inviting about 20 people.

Honored Contributor

I think that when you go against someone’s  wishes, then you are doing it for yourself and not them.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Private. When we renewed our wedding vows, ( 50 years)we took our entire family to a restaurant ,afterward

The renewal was a collection of many people, celebrating milestone anniversaries ,and we renewed our vows as part of a group.  (We wore nice clothes, and didn't  over do it. )

We didn't want gifts or jokes , we just spent the time with our family, enjoying each other's company