Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Thoughts on GoFundMe

My opinion?  I wasn't raised to take hand outs.  Sorry.  Go get a second job.  Have a bake sale.  Have a hoagie sale.  Earn it the old fashioned way.  WORK for it.

Honored Contributor

Haven't read the replies but will say that I don't respond to Go Fund Me accounts or other similar things. I might if I was absolutely sure I knew the persons involved and was certain that the cause/issue was legit with them. 

As for funding something like study abroad, I guess if it were someone I knew and believed they were really using it for that, I might. I believe highly in education and it's experiences, so I'd much rather contribute to that than give them money for a wedding  or honeymoon etc. 

Regular Contributor

I cannot stand this entitlement generation that don’t want to work for anything, my son is disabled and goes to college,he gets nothing in scholarships, we struggle and sacrifice to send him. one day they will get the point and have to actually work.

Honored Contributor

It's people and families of all ages that start go fund me accounts. 

Honored Contributor

I don't trust gofundme.  People start it for all kinds of reasons and too many have been shown to be fake.  If someone I knew needed money, I'd give what I could.   There are sometimes local situations where money is needed and I don't mind giving that way.  But I'd never give through gofundme.  Who knows who can access your credit card info.

Honored Contributor

I always thought Go Fund Me was for emergency funding for burial for a murderd child, family, etc. For victims of crime.   Not something for personal gain.  I guess not now after reading this.

Super Contributor

@songbird

i think it probably started with emergencies as the intent. now look, every trivial thing you can think of is done. i have never even seen a page but hear bout them on the news at times. 

i CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE sometimes how much over and above in amt. they go!!!

seems everyone on earth has given to some they go so high! it AMAZES ME!

and im glad to see such generosity!!  we give to many local charities but I would never just give to a strangers story not knowing if a scam or not. so many scams out there. too many!

im really surprised so many people give to them really. when u can just scroll down like someone else said. its hard enough to give when a stranger knocks at the door, let alone to a screen on a computer.

I saw a man holding a sign begging on a busy intersection other day, you have to wonder? but my heart always hurts when I see that.

Respected Contributor

I think the Go Fund Me stories on the Internet have reached a crazy level. People are just misusing the whole idea of why it initially started. I say get a second job.